1.2 million International travellers to Metro since 2009

SEPTEMBER 11, 2014

A total of 1.2 million international travellers visited Nelson Mandela Bay between 2009 and 2013, Tourism Minister Derek Hanekom has told the National Assembly.

Replying to a written question from Andrew Whitfield (DA), the Minister’s figures show that the highest number of international travellers, 290 000 visited the metro in 2010, the year of the World Cup.

Hanekom said that data for domestic travellers was “not collected at city level,” suggested that this should be obtained from the provincial department, adding that South African Tourism also did not collect information on the contribution of tourism to Gross Domestic Product by city.

The Eastern Cape Department of Economic Development, Environmental Affairs (DEDEAT) is planning to appoint a service provider to create a framework for provincial tourism statistics.

With regard to the whole of the Eastern Cape, figures provided by Hanekom show that the number of domestic travellers to the province has been declining since 2009 from a high of 5.7 million to 2.3 million in 2012 and 2.1 million last year.

The figures show that the number of international travellers to the Eastern Cape has remained relatively constant with a peak of 354 957 in 2010 and a low of 295 709 in 2012.

Hanekom said South African Tourism also did not collect information with regard to the impact of tourism on GDP at a provincial level, a gap that the DEDEAT intends to fill. - metrominutes


IMAGE sourced from portelizabethflights.com