150 killed in Boko Haram attack, not 2000

JANUARY 13, 2015

The Nigerian government has maintained that up to 150 people had been killed during last week’s Boko Haram-led attack, after various earlier reports had put the death toll at over 2000.

"Without any doubt, terrible atrocities have been committed against innocent Nigerians in Baga by the rampaging terrorists," the defence ministry said in a statement.

“But the higher death tolls being reported were the result of "speculations and conjectures ... peddled by a section of the press", the ministry added.

Local officials have said that since last Thursday, the militant Sunni Islamist group has attacked and destroyed more than a dozen villages in the north-east of Nigeria.

Amnesty International has described the attacks as being “the worst terrorist action” within Nigeria.