$200-million for Japanese captives’ safety - ISIS

JANUARY 20, 2015

Japan’s Prime Minister, Shinzo Abe, has demanded the release of two Japanese hostages held by the Islamic State (ISIS).

This comes after the posting of a video on Tuesday, which shows a black clad militia, wielding a knife, standing between two men clothed in orange jumpsuits and kneeling in a desert background, insisting that Abe, who is currently on a tour of the Middle East, pay $200-million within 72 hours or risk the men being killed. Reports have identified the men as journalist Kenji Goto Jogo and military company operator, Haruna Yukawa.

Speaking in the same British accent as the masked jihadist who appeared in the beheading videos of US journalists James Foley and Steven Sotloff, as well as aid workers David Haines, Alan Henning and Peter Kassig last year, the man cites the hostage’s lives as payback for Japan’s involvement in the US-led war against ISIS, after a speech in Cairo on Sunday, in which Abe pledged $200-million in non-military equipment to fight the group.

“Although you are more than 8,500 kilometres from the Islamic State, you willingly have volunteered to take part in this crusade,” the masked man, nicknamed Jihadi John by the press, addresses Abe.

“You have proudly donated $100 million to kill our women and children, destroy the homes of the Muslims,” the man said, before pointing the knife in Jogo’s direction, stating that his life will cost $100-million.

“And in an attempt to stop the expansion of the Islamic State, you also donated another $100-million to train the mujahideen against the mujahideen,” he continues, this time pointing the knife at Yukawa before repeating that saving his life would cost $100-million.

Changing his focus, the he then addresses the Japanese public, saying “Just as your government has made the foolish decision to pay $200-million to fight the Islamic State, you now have 72 hours to pressure your government into making a wise decision by paying the $200-million to save the lives of your citizens. Otherwise, this knife will become your nightmare.”

In a statement shortly after the video’s release, Prime Minister Abe said that an emergency committee meeting has been setup in Tokyo and that the government would deal with the matter of “putting people’s lives first”, before adding that Japan will not succumb to threats made by extremists.

 

CAPTION: Screen grab from the latest video posted by the Islamic State (ISIS) showing the masked man, believed to be same who killed five Westerners in a series of video posting last year, theatning two Japanese hostages after the country's Prime Minister announced a pledge of $200-million to fight the organisation. IMAGE sourced from www.buzzfeed.com