2015 Eastern Cape Easter death toll stands at 35

APRIL 8, 2015

The Eastern Cape Department of  Transport, in its preliminary road fatality-statistics for the Easter weekend, says around 35 people lost their lives in 18 road accidents across the province.

"When we compare the figure to last year we had 27 fatal crashes and 44 fatalities, so it reduced by 9. We are happy for the reduction but not happy that people died, the figure should be zero at the end of the day," Eastern Cape Department of  Transport spokesperson, Tshepo Machaea said.

Traffic authorities revealed on Monday that they arrested over 1 300 motorists for various offences across the country during the same period. In Johannesburg alone, around 640 drivers were arrested for drunk driving.

Around 350 cars and 1 000 buses were impounded for being unroadworthy across the country.

Machaea said the search will continue on Wednesday for people still missing after a minibus plunged into the Bashe Rivier at Ngcobo in the Eastern Cape on Saturday night.

"The search and rescue team is continuing today. We have managed to get some bodies but there are still people missing."