2015 matric pass rate drops to 70.7%
Matric results in number
- KwaZulu-Natal continues to accounted for the largest number of learners (25%).
- No district in the Western Cape performed below 80%. The province is the top performer in the country, and the best overall matric pupil, Andrew Tucker, comes from SA College High in Cape Town.
- Best performing district is Sedibeng East.
- 20 965 schools are no fee schools - this is 87.14% of public schools.
- The class of 2015 is the 8th group of learners to sit for the National Senior Certificate. They entered the schooling system in January 2004.
- 799 306 pupils wrote the matric exam - 667 925 were full-time and 131 381 part-time. This is the highest number of candidates ever to write matric exams in South Africa.
- 7.8 million question papers were printed, and 10.5 million marked at 121 marking centres.
- Total invilgilators - 65 000
- 49 900 markers in total.
- The three worst-performing provinces (Limpopo, KwaZulu-Natal and the Eastern Cape) account for 54% of the pupils, meaning they determined whether the pass rate went up or down. It might take 3-5 years to get the pass rate on an upward trend because of the changes in the education system.
- 72.9% of repeater pupils passed. - KwaZulu-Natal , Limpopo and the Eastern Cape have the highest number of underperforming districts.
- 22 000 of the 65 100 progressed pupils passed.
REPORTING BY NEWS24 WIRE
Police in Uitenhage said that they were investigating a...
The Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University (NMMU)...
Police in Uitenhage are warning motorists to be wary when approaching traffic intersections and junctions after a reported hijacking and rape incident that occurred in Uitenhage, just outside Port Elizabeth, on Friday afternoon. According to...
The African National Congress (ANC) in the Nelson...
In what is anticipated to be an exciting Telkom Knockout final between...
The Department of Basic Education (DBE) has set the...
The Annual Bayradiology Charity Golf Day in association...
An integrated property related operation by members...
A 37-year-old man is expected in court on Monday after...
- NMMU students bag Mandela Rhodes Scholarships for postgraduates
- Goods worth R52 000 recovered after detectives track down housebreaking suspect via stolen phone
- Body of man found in Uitenhage with stab wound
- It's a lie! Dept of Basic Education says it never lowered Maths pass mark to 20%
- Alleged Upstand Dogs gang member arrested after appearing at court to support fellow gangsters