24 year-old PE man sent to jail for life plus 32 years for murder and other crimes

JUNE 1, 2016

Convicted murderer and suspected gang member, 24 year-old Marcus Malgas, was found guilty on 11 charges that included one for murder last week Friday, by the Port Elizabeth High Court, was handed a life sentence plus 32 years by the same court on Tuesday.

He was sentenced in the Port Elizabeth High Court as follows:

  • Murder : Life sentence
  • Attempted murder : 10 years
  • Attempted murder (6 counts) : 10 years
  • Unlawful possession of illegal firearm :  5 years
  • Unlawful  possession of ammunition : I year
  • Unlawful possession of firearm : 5 years
  • Unlawful possession of ammunition : 1 year

The sentencing has been welcomed by the SAPS management.

"Team work within the SAPS and between the dedicated task team and the NPA is reaping significant rewards. The investigation team performing duties under Operation Lockdown is applauded for their efforts in bringing criminals operating in the Northern areas of Port Elizabeth to book," said police spokesperson, Captain Sandra Janse van Rensburg.  

“We are serious about bringing stability to the Northern Areas and we will not rest until those responsible for gang-related violence and criminal activities are behind bars for many years. This sentence augurs well for the SAPS because, through dedication, thorough investigations and professional prosecutions, the judicial system is working,” said the Deputy National Commissioner responsible for National Management Interventions, Lieutenant General Gary Kruser. 

“The long hours, dangerous circumstances and many sacrifices made by the investigation team is truly appreciated,” he added.

On Friday, the Port Elizabeth High Court convicted Malgas as follows:

*One count of murder;
*Eight counts of attempted murder;
*One count relating to the unlawful possession of a firearm; and
*One count relating to the unlawful possession of ammunition.

"The conviction of Malgas is regarded being a significant victory for theOperation Lockdown PE? investigation team, which was established by the Minister of Police and the Acting National Commissioner of the SAPS to combat gang-related violence and criminal activities in the Northern Areas of Port Elizabeth," said Captain van Rensburg.

"Between 11 March and 22 May 2016, Operation Lockdown has seen 285 people being arrested on charges relating to a range of offences including murder, attempted murder, possession of and dealing in drugs, possession of unlicensed firearms and ammunition, possession of stolen motor vehicles, common robbery and driving under the influence of alcohol."

“We will continue to exert lawful pressure on those responsible for making life hell for communities through their violent and criminal activities in PE’s Northern Areas,” said the Deputy National Commissioner responsible for National Management Interventions, Lieutenant General Gary Kruser, on hearing the news of Malgas' conviction.

He congratulated the entire team and urged them to continue to ensure that #‎CrimeMustFall through getting back to the basics of proactive policing and the investigation of crime.