7 Easy home DIY ways to remove scratches from your phone and gadgets
Careful you may be, but our phones and similar gadgets are bound to get nasty scratches and abrasions from car keys to accidental drops. But did you know that buying a new phone or new covers are not your only solutions. Here are some quick DIY fixes that may help you remove shallow scratches from your phone and other gadgets in your home – note we said shallow scratches.
Here are eight remedies known to rescue phones from minor scratches from reputable blog Mashable.
Before cleaning, make sure you power down your phone, remove the battery (if you can) and seal the ports of your phone with tape to prevent liquid damage.
Look no further than your bathroom to cure small marks on your phone's screen. According to Mashable, the key is to use actual toothpaste, not a gel-based toothpaste.
Here's how this method works:
- Dab a small amount of toothpaste onto the end of a cotton swab or clean, soft cloth.
- Gently rub the cotton swab or cloth in circular motions on the screen until you see the scratch go away.
- After this, wipe your screen with a slightly dampened cloth to remove any excess toothpaste.
2. Car scratch removal creams
Car scratch removal creams such as Turtle Wax, 3M Scratch and Swirl Remover can minimize and get rid of scratches. Simply apply the cream to a clean, soft cloth and wipe your screen in a gentle, swirling motion.
3. Baking soda
Mix two parts baking soda and one part water in a bowl to create a thick paste that can help get rid of scratches of your phone.
Baking soda can serve as a handy phone scratch remover. Here's how this remedy works:
- Mix two parts baking soda and one part water in a bowl.
- Stir until it forms a thick paste.
- Apply the paste to a clean, soft cloth and gently rub in a circular motion on the phone's scratches.
- After this, wipe your screen with a fresh, slightly dampened cloth to remove any excess.
4. Baby powder
Baby powder mixed with water creates a thick paste that can be used to remove scratches on your phone.
Adding water to baby powder creates a paste that can take out the scratches on your phone. In the steps above, simply substitute baby powder for baking soda.
5. Vegetable oil
For small, hidden scratches, vegetable oil is said to work well as a temporary solution. One drop of vegetable oil on top of scratches can be a quick cosmetic fix.
6. Egg and potassium aluminum sulfate
An online tutorial from Yahoo says that mixing egg whites and potassium aluminum sulfate can get rid of scratches.
For this, you'll need a microfiber cloth, an egg, aluminum foil and alum (potassium aluminum sulfate, which can be purchased at your local drugstore).
- Mix one egg white and one teaspoon of alum in a saucepan. Heat to 150 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Soak the microfiber cloth in the egg and alum mixture.
- Put the cloth on aluminum foil, and then place it into a 300-degree oven until the cloth is completely dry.
- Take the cloth out of the oven and rinse it in cold water for 20 to 30 seconds.
- Repeat the step above three times, and then let the cloth air-dry for 48 hours.
- Now, use the cloth to remove scratches.
7. Sandpaper or drill grinders
Grinding stubborn phone scratches with sandpaper or a small drill grinder is a drastic solution, but has the ability to remove unwanted scuffs from your phone. It’s best to use this method for smoothing out scratches on the back of your phone.
- When using fine sandpaper, it's important to use the least abrasive kind and to press gently onto your phone. As you grind the phone scratches, check often to make sure there is no damage on the screen.
- Note: If you aren't careful, this method can end up causing more scratches and damage.
The Nelson Mandela Bay Chamber of Business on Wednesday said that it welcomes the "balancing act" Finance Minister, Pravin Gordhan, has managed during his 2017 National Budget Speech...
The Healthy Living Alliance (HEALA) welcomes...
Aldm Melvin Naik, the first citizen of George, congratulated...
VICTORY entertainment, a new record label formed in Nelson...
Fans of authentic South African comedy will be pleased...
Finance Minister Pravin Gordhan has announced a number...
The luxury SUV was created in 1970 when Land Rover...
As many pundits predicted, the Minister of Finance...
A 24-year-old Dutywa man, Lwazi Dlisani, briefly appeared...
- Port Elizabeth police seek public's assistance in locating rape suspect
- Angry taxi drivers block off NMMU Missionvale Campus entrance over shuttle service
- The Great Moscow Circus Big Top Goes Up at The Boardwalk!!
- Two alleged gangsters arrested just after shooting dead Bethelsdorp man
- Replacing Pravin Gordhan, or his deputy, would carry a heavy cost