A challenging week for Gary Gold
Cell C Sharks Director of Rugby, Gary Gold, has said that this week’s preparations for his team’s Super Rugby clash against the Western Force has been challenging.
Centre, Frans Steyn, was red carded and sent off the field in last weekend’s game against the Chiefs, but was found not guilty at a subsequent hearing with the card being expunged from his record.
SANZAR appealed this decision, with the original appeal date being set on Friday.
At this point, Gold was not sure whether he would be able to select Steyn for his starting line-up.
Steyn’s appeal has been moved to the 31st of March (next Tuesday), making him available for the match, with Gold placing him at flyhalf.
"We didn't have time to ponder whether or not to include him. We decided to pick him. And we let Fred Zeilinga and Lionel Cronje also train in case of a hiccup," Gold said.
Skipper, Bismarck du Plessis, who also received a red card against the Chiefs last week, has been banned for four weeks, making him unavailable for the match.
Gold will have to rest his Springbok trio of Patrick Lambie, Cobus Reinach and Marcell Coetzee, in order to support the South African Rugby Union’s (SARU) request.
"This week was definitely one of the more challenging one's of my coaching career. But I'm not worried about the impact all the disruptions could have on the players. We have an excellent group that know exactly what is expected of them," Gold added.
15 SP Marais, 14 Odwa Ndungane, 13 JP Pietersen, 12 André Esterhuizen, 11 Lwazi Mvovo, 10 Frans Steyn, 9 Conrad Hoffman, 8 Ryan Kankowski, 7 Jean Deysel (captain), 6 Renaldo Bothma, 5 Marco Wentzel, 4 Mouritz Botha, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 Kyle Cooper, 1 Tendai Mtawarira
16 Monde Hadebe, 17 Thomas du Toit, 18 Lourens Adriaanse, 19 Lubabalo Mtyanda, 20 Daniel du Preez, 21 Stefan Ungerer, 22 Fred Zeilinga, 23 Waylon Murray
IMAGE supplied by www.bathchronicle.co.uk
With the 2016 Matric Examinations well underway and the Eastern Cape again hoping to improve on last year's results, the Eastern Cape Department of Education (ECDOE) on Friday announced that well-experienced retired teachers had been roped in to mentor some 560 under-performing schools in the...
SA EXPRESS recently announced that it would not withdraw...
Five suspects, aged between 23 and 34 years, are expected...
Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality Councillors had the...
The Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University (NMMU) on...
The Airports Company South Africa (ACSA) has reminded...
Coming to the end of the year I am under a lot of pressure...
The official trailer for the third Wolverine movie...
The records from a phone allegedly used by Port Elizabeth...
- Despite disruptions, NMMU says it remains committed to completing academic year
- Suspended SA Express flights to East London and Port Elizabeth resume in November
- What must fall: fees or the South African state?
- Councillors get first bite at draft legislation on problem buildings
- NMMU #FeesMustFall calls for a 'ceasefire' - but only for Friday!