A day of fire-fighting: Presidency lodges complaint over leaked State Capture recording
The Presidency on Monday said that it has lodged a complaint with the Office of the Public Protector regarding the leaking of an audio recording of the discussions between President Jacob Zuma and the former Public Protector, Advocate Thuli Madonsela.
The Presidency on Monday said it has sought clarity from the Office of the Public Protector on the policy of the institution regarding the release of audio recordings of interviews conducted during the course of investigations.
The audio recording was leaked to the television channel eNCA and discussions that took place during the meeting between President Zuma and Madonsela were broadcast on the weekend.
The discussions were recorded during the Public Protector’s investigation into allegations of state capture, which was released on 2 November as the State of Capture Report.
Presidency has no record of letter regarding NDPP
Meanwhile, the Presidency also said that it has learnt from media reports that the Helen Suzman Foundation and Freedom Under Law have apparently written a letter to President Zuma regarding the alleged impropriety and unfitness for office of the National Director of Public Prosecutions (NDPP).
“A copy of the letter is available on the Internet. The letter gives an account of how the NDPP and the prosecutors who dealt with the matter involving the Minister of Finance and others misconducted themselves.
“The letter concludes by asking the President to confirm, in writing, by no later than 4pm Monday, 7 November 2016, that the President will provisionally suspended the NDPP, JP Pretorius SC and S Mzinyathi from their office, pending enquiries into their fitness to hold office as contemplated in section 12(6)(a), read with, inter alia, section 14(3) of the National Prosecuting Authority Act, 1998 and that the President will forthwith institute such enquiries,” said the Presidency in a statement.
The Presidency said it has checked its records and has no record of receipt of this correspondence.
“The matter will be attended to once the letter has been delivered to the Presidency.”
Presidency dismisses allegations implicating Ministers, Eskom CEO
The Presidency has dismissed media reports stating that President Zuma has tasked two Ministers to convince Eskom Chief Executive Brian Molefe to sign off on the power purchase agreements (PPAs) with independent power producers.
The Presidency on Monday said the reports are incorrect.
The reports quoted special advisor on energy to President Jacob Zuma, Silas Zimu, as having told the WINDABA renewable energy conference that took place in Cape Town last week that “President Zuma has appointed the Minister of Environmental Affairs, Ms Edna Molewa and Minister of Science and Technology, Ms Naledi Pandor to persuade Eskom to sign off on the agreements.”
Following this report, the Presidency has stated that no such decision has been taken by either the President or Cabinet, and that Zimu spoke in his personal capacity.
“His remarks at the conference were not mandated by the Presidency or government. The Minister in the Presidency for Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation, Jeff Radebe, speaks on behalf of Cabinet,” the Presidency said.
Minister Radebe publicly expressed the support of Cabinet and government for the implementation of the Independent Power Producers Procurement Programme.
“All concerns that have been raised with regards to the IPP programme are currently being attended to,” said the Presidency.
Ford South Africa on Monday issued a safety recall for Ford...
Due to restricted stadium renovations that are being applied...
Oxigen has signed a sponsorship deal with...
Diligence on the part of Alexandria Detectives resulted in the interception and arrest of a man transporting stolen goods from Kenton on Sea to Port Elizabeth over the weekend. According to local police, on Sunday, at about 10:30, Sergeant Sunet Bakkes...
King William’s Town police are requesting community assistance...
Chippa United have built a reputation around their passing...
The Pink Ladies, a non-profit organisation, which assists...
South Africa has estimated a R350 billion annual...
South African motorists can expect another fuel price...
The Eastern Cape Provincial Legislature Portfolio Committee...
- 18-year-old male drowns in PE spear fishing tragedy
- Stolen electronics valued at R80 000 and destined for PE intercepted in Alexandria
- One of Port Elizabeth's most wanted gangsters expected in court after weekend arrest
- Another fuel price hike predicated at the end of January
- Two killed, one wounded in Bloemendal weekend shooting