A million voters turn up on Saturday for registration, protests in Mandela Bay
According to the Independent Electoral Commission (IEC), initial estimates for registration activities on Saturday showed that approximately 1 million people visited voting stations to register, update their registration details and re-register at new and changed voting districts countrywide.
"The Electoral Commission is pleased to report that almost all voting stations were open today with fewer than 20 voting stations out of the country’s 22 569 voting stations still experiencing glitches which were being attended to as at midday [on Sunday]," it said.
However, several voting stations were closed on Saturday due to community protests. The protests were reported in:
- Mahikeng, Taung and Marikana in North West
- Vuwani (Malamulele), Musina, Mogalakwena, Northhampton in Limpopo
- Bushbuckridge in Mpumalanga
- Khayelitsha in the Western Cape
- Denver, George Koch, Orange Farm in Gauteng
- Ethekwini and Jozini in Kwazulu-Natal
- Nelson Mandela Bay, Butterworth and OR Tambo in Eastern Cape
- Pampierstad in Northern Cape
- Maluti-a-Phofung in the Free State
On Sunday, many of the stations were able to open "thanks to the intervention of various stakeholders including the security forces, community leaders and civil society groups, which assisted the Electoral Commission".
The Electoral Commission was continuing to engage with stakeholders in those areas where some voting stations were still experiencing challenges. These areas include Vuwani in Limpopo (where 8 voting stations out of 45 were still closed earlier today); voting stations in ward 60 in Ethikwini and two voting stations in Weenen in Kwazulu-Natal; voting two voting stations in Khayelitsha in the Western Cape; four voting stations in Thabankulu in the Eastern Cape and 2 in GaMothibi in the NorthWest.
"The Electoral Commission will this week review the activities from this weekend’s registration and the results of the registration weekend will be announced in the early part of the week," the IEC said.
African Drumbeat did Interactive Drumming & Zulu...
Nelson Mandela Bay Tourism, in partnership with...
The FNB NMMU-Madibaz will be determined to finish their...
The Emalahleni Local Municipality on Wednesday held a...
Southern Kings pivot, Lionel Cronje, who has been vice-captain...
Chippa United Captain, Thamsanqa Sangweni, has emphasized that Head...
Police in Uitenhage on Thursday commended the lengthy sentences handed down to two men convicted in two unrelated incidents that saw the brutal rape of a woman and a child in...
Doc-U-Mentally – a film which aptly captures the...
Boomtown’s 2017 campaign for First Choice’s popular dairy...
- Man who raped girl at Dora Nginza Hospital expected to apply for bail
- 21-year-old woman fatally stabs 40-year-old brother alleging he raped her since age 7
- Port Elizabeth estate agent, Kobie Potgieter, stars in home renovation series
- Temperatures reach high discomfort levels in many parts of the Eastern Cape
- NMMU will officially change to Nelson Mandela University by year end