AbaThembu king to commence jail sentence on Wednesday

BY CHARL BOSCH - DECEMBER 22, 2015

Disgraced AbuThembu King, Buyelekhaya Dalindyebo, is reportedly expected to begin his 12-year jail sentence for crimes ranging from arson, kidnapping and assault on Wednesday, after reports suggesting he might receive presidential pardon from President Jacob Zuma turned out to be unfounded.

In October, the Bloemfontein Supreme Court of Appeal imposed the sentence on Dalindyebo following reports of the crimes committed under his order, in the Mthatha area between June 1995 and January 1996.

“King Dalindyebo had applied for leave to appeal to the Constitutional Court, but the appeal application was dismissed on 2 December 2015,” Department of Justice spokesperson, Advocate Mthunzi Mhaga, was quoted by ANA as saying.

“According to his bail conditions which become an order of court, he is expected to present himself to the head of Mthatha Correctional Centre within 14 days of the dismissal of his application which ends on 23 December 2015”.

On Monday, the Congress of Traditional Leaders of South Africa (Contralesa) said it was in the process of finalising a petition calling for Zuma to put his differences with Dalindyebo aside, and grant him pardon.

“At the moment the department of justice and constitutional development and the ministry have not received such an application from King Dalindyebo,” Mhaga said.

Dalindyebo came under widespread criticism in 2013 after referring to Zuma as a “lair” and “zuluboy”. He subsequently apologised after meeting with Zuma at his private Nkandla homestead last year.