AFCON dates unchanged

BY NATALI IVERSON - NOVEMBER 4, 2014

The Confederation of African Football (CAF) has said that they will not delay the dates of the 2015 Orange African Cup of Nations (AFCON), after a meeting with the Sports Council of Morocco and the Ministry of Youth in Rabat on Monday, amidst fears of the Ebola virus spreading. The tournament is expected to kick-off on the 17th of January before concluding on the 8th of February.

CAF has indicated that it has given Morocco time until the 8th of November to decide whether they still want to proceed with hosting the event after the North African county wanted the event’s postponement until June next year or January 2016.  

"Of the three countries where the epidemic is prevalent, only Guinea retains a chance of qualifying for the final tournament,” CAF said in a statement. In addition, Guinea hosts its home games in Casablanca and has adhered to a strict health protocol implemented by Morocco that has so far showed no flaws.

"Morocco, a country where no cases of Ebola have been identified, will, in the coming few weeks, welcome participants from a country where a case of the Ebola virus has been identified (Spain) as part of the Club World Cup tournament.

"The number of foreign fans expected in the stadiums for this event is much higher than the ones expected for the AFCON.

A further meeting will be held in Cairo, Egypt on the 11th of November, where CAF’s governing body indicated that they will continue to make the “necessary decisions” for the 2015 tournament.

 

Picture courtesy of www.goal.com