AFCON host announced
The Confederation of African Football (CAF) has officially announced Equatorial Guinea as the host of the 2015 Orange African Cup of Nations (AFCON) tournament, after Morocco requested that the competition be postponed due to fears of the Ebola virus entering their country. The tournament is expected to kick-off on the 17th of January before concluding on the 8th of February.
CAF stripped Morocco of their title as AFCON hosts and disqualified the North African country from the tournament earlier this week, after the Royal Moroccan Football Federation said they would not hold the event unless it was postponed until June next year or January 2016.
Equatorial Guinea was originally disqualified from the competition in July, as they fielded an ineligible player in an AFCON qualifying match against Mauritania. They will now have the opportunity to host the event and have been re-entered into the tournament.
CAF made the decision during a meeting between Equatorial Guinea's president, Teodoro Obiang Nguema, and CAF president Issa Hayatou, in Malabo on Friday.
"The head of state of Equatorial Guinea agreed to host the competition. As a result, the CAF executive committee confirm that the tournament will go ahead,” a statement from African soccer's governing body said.
"CAF wishes to express its sincere thanks to the Equatorial Guinean people, its government and particularly president Obiang Nguema," the statement concluded.
Picture courtesy of www.en.africatopsports.com
Four people, including a woman, escaped unhurt after...
On Sunday, the whole of South Africa cheered...
DebtSafe advises consumers to save on monthly expenses. The company, specialising in Debt Review, recently released its results of a survey about spending and saving habits of consumers in South Africa.
Male sexual enhancement pills are considered to be one of the most counterfeited drugs in the world and according to the latest statistics, South Africans are among the biggest consumers of black market aphrodisiacs.
The hospitality industry has often suffered criticism for being slow on the technology uptake...
Burnley Football Club has secured the signing of Norwegian midfielder, Fredrik Ulvestad, on a three year contract, following the 22-year-old’s impressive skills during training at Turf Moor.
Orlando Pirates midfielder, Sifiso Myeni, has said that his team should not underestimate Chippa United, when they clash in their Premier Soccer League (PSL) match at the Orlando Stadium this evening.
Democratic Alliance (DA) Shadow Minister of Environmental Affairs, Thomas Hadebe, has said that party will launch an investigation with the Green Scorpions into the flowing of raw sewage water into the Swartkops River, which has amounted to “192 mega litres” since a pipe burst 15 weeks ago.
An application by various media houses to have Parliament show uninterrupted proceedings of events taking place in the Chamber, has been rejected by the Western Cape High Court.
- 24-year-old woman arrested for possession of illegal firearm and ammunition
- Notification of the interruption of the electricity supply - The following areas will be affected
- Veld fire conditions and extreme heat forecast for parts of Eastern Cape
- Man handed lengthy jail sentence for mystery 2016 murder
- Xtreme Projects: emergencies don't wait for regular business hours, neither do we!