AFCON to be held in another country
South Africa and Ghana have been asked by the African Cup of Nations organisers if they would host the 2015 African Cup of Nations (AFCON) after Morocco reportedly said they would not hold the tournament due to Ebola fears.
The AFCON tournament is said to take place between the 17th of January and the 8th of February next year.
Morocco had requested whether the games could be postponed to 2016, as they feared it would cause a spread of the Ebola virus, if the tournament continued next year. The Confederation of African Football (CAF) denied this request last week.
A letter from CAF secretary general, Hicham El Amrani, was sent out to a number of national associations, asking if they would be ready to host the tournament.
The letter reads as follows,
"In case Morocco refuses to maintain the staging of the competition at the agreed dates, CAF would like to know whether your federation would be willing and able to organise the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations.
"Kindly note that this letter is also sent to some other federations capable of staging the 2015 edition of the event.
"In case CAF receives two or more positive responses, a draw will be made by the executive committee to designate the host of the 2015 edition."
More than 4500 people have died from the deadly Ebola virus, with 8 399 people having been infected. The World Health Organisation (WHO) has said that they expect 9000 people to be infected with the hemorrhagic fever by the end of this week.
CAF cancelled all football events in Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone in September, as these three countries have been hit the hardest by the virus.
Guinea and Sierra Leone will play their home fixtures outside the country and it has been reported that both will not qualify for the 2015 competition.
Liberia had been eliminated from the AFCON qualifier games during the preliminary rounds in April this year.
CAF president, Issa Hayatou, will travel to Morocco with a delegation next month, in order to meet with officials and address their concerns.
Photo caption: CAF President, Issa Hayatou, will travel to Morocco next month to arrange where the AFCON tournament will take place. Photo courtesy of www.foxnews.com
Four people, including a woman, escaped unhurt after...
On Sunday, the whole of South Africa cheered...
DebtSafe advises consumers to save on monthly expenses. The company, specialising in Debt Review, recently released its results of a survey about spending and saving habits of consumers in South Africa.
Male sexual enhancement pills are considered to be one of the most counterfeited drugs in the world and according to the latest statistics, South Africans are among the biggest consumers of black market aphrodisiacs.
The hospitality industry has often suffered criticism for being slow on the technology uptake...
Democratic Alliance (DA) Shadow Minister of Environmental Affairs, Thomas Hadebe, has said that party will launch an investigation with the Green Scorpions into the flowing of raw sewage water into the Swartkops River, which has amounted to “192 mega litres” since a pipe burst 15 weeks ago.
An application by various media houses to have Parliament show uninterrupted proceedings of events taking place in the Chamber, has been rejected by the Western Cape High Court.
Parliament has released a document showing the six questions that will be answered by President Jacob Zuma during his questions and answers session in the National Assembly on Wednesday.
Power utility, Eskom, has announced a medium to high probability of it implementing load-shedding for Monday...
- Severe thunderstorms expected over eastern half of Eastern Cape
- EP Cricket pays tribute to Colin Rushmere
- First cop on scene after elderly American couple is hijacked recognised
- Bethelsdorp man in custody for allegedly shooting dead rival gang member
- Nothing wrong with employing #FeesMustFall activists if they never broke the law: NMMU