ANC committee expected in Nelson Mandela Bay to present intervention plan

MAY 18, 2015

The African National Congress (ANC) National Working Committee (NWC) is expected back in the Nelson Mandela Bay Metro on Monday to present its intervention plan for the troubled municipality.

Early this month, President Jacob Zuma had travelled to Nelson Mandela Bay to review the work of a 31-person task team that had been established to rebuild ANC structures in the region following the disbanding of the Regional Executive Committee last December.

ANC national spokesman, Zizi Kodwa said a report as well as the details from the two-day visit, would be reported back to the ANC's National Executive Committee.

"The NEC will take this feedback under advisement and will then return to the municipality on the 17th of May," he said.

Kodwa said the NEC would then announce any possible changes to political as well as administrative positions within the municipal structures on May 18.

According to the SABC, the NWC, which is led by President Zuma, earlier received a report on the state of the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality from the task team appointed to rectify divisions within the ANC in the region.

The report details specific problems relating to housing, sanitation and the integrated public transport system in the metro.

The NWC is expected to announce a restructuring of the municipal leadership.

It is expected that a new mayor will be appointed as part of the intervention.

Several names, including that of local businessman, Mandla Madwara, and Danny Jordaan have been punted.

Related: NO ANC RESHUFFLE IN NELSON MANDELA BAY YET