ANC Eastern Cape Chief Whip at Bhisho Mzoleli Mrara moves motion to support #feesmustfall
African National Congress (ANC) Chief Whip in the Eastern Cape Provincial Legislature, Mzoleli Mrara, on Thursday moved a motion without notice - in terms of Rule 130 of the Standing Rules of the Legislature, on the student #feesmustfall protests that have engulfed campuses and cities across South Africa.
Mrara’s motion was coincidentally moved at the Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University (NMMU) - where students are also protesting. The Eastern Cape Provincial Legislature held a sitting there as part of its four day visit to the Metro.
Read the full motion below:
MOTION WITHOUT NOTICE IN TERMS OF RULE 130 OF THE STANDING RULES OF THE LEGISLATURE
I move without notice in terms of Rule 130 of the Standing Rules of the Legislature that this House:
- Noting the ongoing student protests at the Universities under the hashtag #feesmust fall,
- Noting that one of the pillars of the apartheid project was a well-resourced education system for the whites authored by Dr Hendrik Verwoerd who established a Black Education Department in the Department of Native Affairs with blacks being given an education system suitable for them to work for their masters,
- Noting that during apartheid years the people of this country united against Bantu Education under the banner "Education for peoples' power",
- Noting that students mobilised to fight against an evil system of Racism in Education, that discriminated against students, especially black students in all respect in the Universities in the country,
- Noting that today under this democracy, all students across colour enjoy constitutional rights such as the Freedom of Expression and Freedom of Choice and Association.
- Noting that the exorbitant fees charged by the universities are exclusionary for the black majority.
That this House resolves:
- To support the efforts by the student across our universities to fight against the exorbitant fees levied by various Universities,
- Discourage any form of violence and destruction of property by students who are involved in the campaign for the affordable fees,
- Encourage a spirit of dialogue between the students and leadership of various institutions in order to find an amicable and permanent solution,
- Discourage exclusionist approach such as point system, means test and similar tests that are mainly targeting black students,
- Encourage the spirit of consultation between student formations and university management in the budgetary and other processes;
- Encourage that the review of the funding model especially the NSFAS is in order to ensure that it responds to the needs of all the students.
So I Move
By Hon. Mr Mrara
Image: Chuma @Chuma_MZN
How EFF were thrown out of the National Assembly when they joined the #feesmustfall protest courtesy of Tribe2tribes Youtube Channel
Over the past weekend, King Williams Town police manned several routine patrols in their policing area and managed to arrest a number of suspects for various criminal offences...
The South African National Roads Agency SOC Ltd...
After being winless for nine games, Chippa United eventually dug...
Several successful operations that were conducted over the...
The South African Police Service (SAPS) on Monday appealed...
Volkswagen Motorsport ended the six-round national Sasol...
The Warriors showed a fluctuation of telling results over the...
A new deal between two South African energy efficiency...
President Jacob Zuma on Monday called on all South...
If you are looking for ways to save in 2017, you might want to...