Another KwaZakhele teen in custody for hijacking NMMU students, rape and murder

BY YOLANDA PALEZWENI - AUGUST 31, 2016

Update: Third suspect arrested. Read about it, click HERE.

Two teenagers are expected to appear in the Port Elizabeth Magistrate's Court on Thursday in connection with the gruesome hijacking, murder and rape of two Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University (NMMU) students early this month. This follows the arrest of a 17 year-old suspect from KwaZakhele, Port Elizabeth, who handed himself over to Port Elizabeth police on Friday.

According to police spokesperson, Colonel Priscilla Naidu, the suspect is one of the five suspects that were being sought by the police for alleged involvement in the hijacking of two NMMU students on the nigh of 13 August, outside an NMMU residence in North End, PE.

The students, a 21 year-old female and a 28 year-old male, are believed to had gone there to pick up friends to attend the recent intervarsity tournament. 

They were then driven to Brighton Beach where two of the hijackers allegedly took turns to rape the female student before executing her male companion. 

The suspects later dumped the female student in Central early on the Sunday morning and she reported the case.

Police later recovered the body of the male student, which they found floating in the water at the same beach on the Sunday afternoon.

“The suspect appeared in the Port Elizabeth magistrate court on Monday, and he was remanded in custody for formal bail application,” said Colonel Naidu.

Coincidentally, last week Wednesday, police announced that an 18 year-old KwaZakhele suspect had been arrested in the same case. The suspect was found in possession of the complainant’s belongings.

The VW Polo Vivo stolen from the students was found abandoned in KwaZakhele.

Police are continuing the hunt for the other three suspects and the tracking team was increased to seven members.

In a statement, following the incident, the NMMU said that it had been saddened by the heinous crime.