Bob Hewitt's appeal postponed to next month

MAY 19, 2015

Bob Hewitt’s application for leave to appeal his conviction and sentence will now be heard next month.

The disgraced former double Grand Slam champion was on Monday sentenced to six years in jail on two counts of rape and one of sexual assault on three of his former students in the 1980’s and 1990’s. He was granted leave to appeal his conviction and sentence at the Pretoria High Court. 

Hewitt's new laywer, Advocate Johann Engelbrecht, said he had no time to go through the records and needs to prepare for the application for leave to appeal - hence the postponement.

Hewitt has been restricted to his home in the Eastern Cape and can’t leave until his next court appearance.

In passing his judgement on Monday, Judge Bert Bam also ordered Hewitt to pay R100 000 to campaigns dealing with sexual abuse, adding that the 75-year old would have gone to jail for 20 years had he been younger and in better health.

Prosecutor Advocate Carina Coetzee said Hewitt, now residing on a citrus farm near Addo with his wife Delaille, showed no remorse during the trail and only “felt sorry for himself”.

Hewitt had previously denied the claims brought against him by Suellen Sheehan, Theresa Tolken and a third unnamed woman, saying that while he admitted to writing Tolken letters to provide “fatherly advice” as she was not on good terms with father, he never instructed her to “pull her panties down”.

Two of his victims were reportedly visibly upset when they heard Hewitt's jail term would not start immediately. 

Hewitt and his wife said their lives had become unbearable since 2011 when he was formally charged.

Image: eNCA.