Boko Haram: militants reportedly kill 33 and kidnap dozens in north-eastern Nigeria
Boko Haram militants stormed a remote village in north-eastern Nigeria, killing at least 33 people and kidnapping dozens, a survivor told the BBC.
The attack reportedly happened on Sunday but the news only emerged on Thursday morning, after survivors reached the city of Maiduguri.
The survivor, interviewed by the BBC, said that after the Boko Haram attack, he returned to the village of Bintiri and helped bury 33 bodies.
While, Boko Haram has not claimed responsibility for the attack, local officials blamed the Jihadist group which is fighting the Nigerian government as it wants to establish an Islamic State based on a strict interpretation of Sharia law.
Nigerian soldiers given death penalty for mutiny
Meanwhile, a Nigerian court martial has sentenced 54 soldiers to death for refusing to fight Boko Haram Islamist militants on Wednesday. The soldiers, who were found guilty of mutiny, were accused of refusing to help recapture three towns that had been seized by Boko Haram in August.
A lawyer for the soldiers said the 54 would face a firing squad. Five others were acquitted.
Troops have complained that they are not being given enough weapons and ammunition to fight Boko Haram.
Boko Haram has been waging an insurgency since 2009 and is seeking to create an Islamist state in north-eastern Nigeria.
More than 2,000 people have died in attacks blamed on Boko Haram so far this year and thousands more have been displaced by the fighting.
The court martial began in October and was conducted behind closed doors. Military officials were not available for comment afterwards.
Defence lawyer Femi Falana said the soldiers were all accused of "conspiring to commit mutiny against the authorities of 7 Division, Nigerian Army".
All the soldiers had denied the charges and the sentence is subject to approval by senior officers.
In a similar case in September, 12 soldiers were sentenced to death for mutiny and the attempted murder of a commanding officer in the north-eastern city of Maiduguri.
Swift police response led to the rescue of a visiting American couple, both in their sixties, after they were hijacked at about...
"I have no plan on dying any time soon!" Believe it or not...
The Eastern Province Triathlon Championships...
The Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality has advised all residents...
Two men are expected to appear in the Peddie Magistrate's ...
The Tsomo Regional Court on Monday convicted and...
A number of players of different age groups availed...
The Coega Development Corporation (CDC)...
What a hot day. Maximum day temperatures in...
- 24-year-old woman arrested for possession of illegal firearm and ammunition
- Notification of the interruption of the electricity supply - The following areas will be affected
- Man handed lengthy jail sentence for mystery 2016 murder
- Veld fire conditions and extreme heat forecast for parts of Eastern Cape
- Xtreme Projects: emergencies don't wait for regular business hours, neither do we!