Boy, 9, has nightmares after near-kidnapping
A 9-year-old boy has been left severely traumatised after he and his friend were almost kidnapped, allegedly by a Nigerian man who promised to take them to a “far country”.
The boy’s mother, whose name is being withheld to protect the boy’s identity, said the incident gave her a huge shock and her son now has nightmares, reported Netwerk24.
“All sorts of things went through my head. I couldn’t think clearly, but I immediately realised I should call the police.”
She said her son usually stayed for aftercare at his school, Jim Fouré Primary, but his friend convinced him to go play computer games with him at his house last Friday.
After the two friends were done with their games, they began walking back to the school where the boy waited for his mother. On the way back, a man stopped his car and told the boys to take a ride with him.
The boy’s friend believed the man was a Nigerian.
The boy said the man told the children he would take them to a distant land, according to the boy’s mother’s employer, Marian Van Rensburg.
Luckily, police reacted quickly and a search was launched in the neighbourhood for the car.
Minutes later a car was spotted with a man and two schoolboys.
The boys were safely recovered, however the suspect managed to escape on foot before he was apprehended.
Van Rensburg said it is only through grace and a miracle that the boys weren’t abducted and were unharmed.
“We prayed so much. We never prayed so much as we did on Friday.”
The police did not respond to comment from Netwerk24 asking for comment on the incident.
With the 2016 Matric Examinations well underway and the Eastern Cape again hoping to improve on last year's results, the Eastern Cape Department of Education (ECDOE) on Friday announced that well-experienced retired teachers had been roped in to mentor some 560 under-performing schools in the...
SA EXPRESS recently announced that it would not withdraw...
Five suspects, aged between 23 and 34 years, are expected...
Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality Councillors had the...
The Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University (NMMU) on...
The Airports Company South Africa (ACSA) has reminded...
Coming to the end of the year I am under a lot of pressure...
The official trailer for the third Wolverine movie...
The records from a phone allegedly used by Port Elizabeth...
- Despite disruptions, NMMU says it remains committed to completing academic year
- Retired teachers brought in to mentor underperforming Eastern Cape schools
- Suspended SA Express flights to East London and Port Elizabeth resume in November
- Councillors get first bite at draft legislation on problem buildings
- Panayiotou trial adjourns for Monday to allow Defence to peruse phone records