“Bucket toilets a sign of an uncaring government” - Trollip


Democratic Alliance (DA) Eastern Cape leader, and Nelson Mandela Bay mayoral candidate Athol Trollip, has again hit out Executive Mayor Danny Jordaan, over the Metro’s failure to fast track the eradication of bucket toilets.

Speaking in a statement after conducting a second oversight visit to Walmer Township on Thursday, Trollip said Jordaan’s silence on the matter shows “government has turned its back on the community”.

“It is unacceptable that our people are still using bucket toilets 21 years into our democracy and that every government-set deadline to eradicate them has been missed,” Trollip said.

“Everyone has inherent dignity and the right to have their dignity respected and protected” says our Bill of Rights, yet these bucket toilet users are systemically denied this right by the Nelson Mandela Bay government of the ANC”.

He also stated that attempts to raise the matter with Water and Sanitations Minister Nomvula Mokanyane had fallen on deaf ears, adding that the presence of an estimated 3 000 bucket toilets in the area alone, confirms the ANC “has ignored the problem for far too long”.

“The arrogance displayed by Mayor Jordaan's office adds insult to the injury endured by this forgotten community for too long,” he said.

“While the Mayor turns his back on the bucket toilet crisis, the DA will remain on the side of residents who are forced to live in these horrific conditions”.

Last month, Trollip accused the municipality of showing little interest in getting rid of the problem after Statistics South Africa revealed that the Metro had the highest number of bucket toilets in South Africa, with a reported 30 202.

“This is a total travesty and is a disgraceful legacy of a corrupt, uncaring government that has failed to deliver dignified sanitation to the people,” Trollip remarked.

“Since 2011, over R65-million has been budgeted for the eradication of bucket toilets in Nelson Mandela Bay, yet to our knowledge, nothing has been spent”.