Buildings Worth R644 Million Reported As Completed In Nelson Mandela Bay
New buildings and alterations and additions worth a fraction under R664 million were reported as completed in Nelson Mandela Bay in 2012, the last year for which statistics are currently available.
Figures released by Statistics South Africa show that residential buildings worth R335.8 million and measuring a total of 128.899 square metres were reported as completed in 2012.
In the same years, 13 non-residential buildings worth R120.4 million and measuring 41 957 square metres were also reported as completed.
A total of 822 alterations and additions worth R207.8 million and measuring 60 199 square metres were also reported as completed in 2012.
StatsSA says that the figures cover buildings in Port Elizabeth, Uitenhage and Despatch. The figures show that a total of 2 084 houses worth R263.1 million were reported completed in the metro in 2012, of which 1 868 worth R140.8 million were smaller than 80 square metres. In the same year, 139 town houses worth R57.5 million were reported as complete, but no flats.
No buildings for shopping space were reported as having been completed during the year, but three for offices and banking worth R51.6 million were and nine for industrial and warehousing purposes worth R68.6 million.
Nelson Mandela Bay accounted for just over 23% of the value of all buildings completed in the Eastern Cape in 2012, with Buffalo City filling second place with R593.9 million or 20.6%, followed by Lukhanji (Queenstown) with 7.6% and Ndlambe (Port Alfred) 6%.
Neighbouring Kouga, which includes Jeffrey’s Bay, accounted for 4.4% of the total with buildings worth R148.1 million reported as being completed.
The total value of buildings reported as completed to municipalities n the Eastern Cape increased by R127.2 million between 2011 and 2012 to R2.8 billion but this was substantially below the R3.7 billion recorded in 2010, mainly as a result of a sharp drop in the value of non-residential buildings reported as completed. - MetroMinutes.
Photo courtesy of www.hampshirehotel.co.za
The Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality (NMBM) officially launched the Garden of Remembrance at the Donken Reserve Lawns in Port Elizabeth on the 31st of October, to pay tribute to ward councillors, PR representatives and mayoral committee members who have since passed away. First mentioned by Nelson Mandela Bay Executive Mayor, Benson Fihla, on the 14th of August this year, and attended by the family members and relatives of those honoured, the garden consists of a tree and an engraved plaque representing the 58 NMBM members who had died since 1998....
The municipality is paying R7 000 a month rental for space on the ground floor of Kwantu Towers while an assessment and investigation into the maintenance work required at the Main Library is underway.
Economic Development, Environmental Affairs and Tourism MEC Sakhumzi Somyo says the progress that has been made with the NMMU partnership to date on shale gas research is “commendable”.
A total of R3.4 billion is required to upgrade and refurbish the existing waste water treatment works (WWTW) in Nelson Mandela Bay and construct two new ones.
Joy was palpable at six different schools in Nelson Mandela Bay this week as 300 children received much needed school uniforms from leading Chinese automotive manufacturer and Fortune 500 Company, First Automotive Works (FAW), as part of a major corporate social investment (CSI) drive...
The roll-out of the Integrated Public Transport System (IPTS) Cleary Park-CBD service is now scheduled for September 1, 2016, according to a report to be presented to the Infrastructure, Engineering and Energy Committee on Friday.
A total of R1.33 billion will be required to upgrade all the water treatment works supplying Nelson Mandela Bay, according to a report to be submitted to the Infrastructure, Engineering and Energy Committee on Friday.
The assets and “know-how” from the electric car Joule project have been used by the Technology Innovation Agency (TIA) to set up a product development and texting platform at NMMU “to support local component manufacturing,” Science and Technology Minister Naledi Pandor has told the National Assembly.
Humewood Beach, the oldest Blue Flag beach in South Africa, will continue to enjoy that status for the 2014/15 season.
The Port Elizabeth Harbour is on “high alert” for the Ebola Virus, according to a report by the Nelson Mandela Bay Emergency Services Coordinating Committee (NMBESCC) to be presented to the Safety and Security Committee tomorrow. National Health Minister Aaron Motsoaledi told the National Assembly recently that Livingstone Hospital had been fully equipped and prepared to deal with any cases of Ebola. An inspection carried out at the hospital confirmed that the response team was fully prepared. Eastern Cape Health MEC Pumza Dyantyi said after a visit to the hospital, which has received 80 sets of protective clothing...
- Very hot and uncomfortable weather conditions expected over Eastern Cape
- ANC-led march demands better service delivery from Nelson Mandela Bay’s DA-led coalition
- Zuma's refusal to quit puts South Africa's economy on an even weaker footing
- Roadworks between Majola Tea turn off and Tombo
- Christmas comes early at the Nelson Mandela Bay Business Chamber