CAF to decide on AFCON 2015 host
The Confederation of African Football (CAF) will meet on Tuesday to further discuss who will host the African Cup of Nations (AFCON) tournament next year, after Morocco said they will not host the tournament, due to fears of the Ebola virus.
Morocco approached CAF in October with a request that the tournament be postponed until 2016, as they feared that it would bring Ebola into their country. However, CAF denied this request and said that the AFCON tournament, which is scheduled for January 17 until February 8, would continue as planned.
Following Morocco’s request, CAF approached seven African countries – including South Africa, Sudan, Egypt and Ghana, hoping that they would host the tournament in place of Morocco.
However, none of the countries are willing to host next year’s tournament, as they also fear the haemorrhagic fever might spread into their own territories.
In the meeting on Tuesday, CAF will have to decide on a new host or whether to postpone the tournament, as there is only two months remaining until the start of the competition.
South Africa previously stood in for Libya, which could not host the tournament during its civil war in 2013.
However, South Africa's Sports Minister, Fikile Mbalula, said, along with fears of Ebola entering the country, there was not enough time to plan for the competition or the finances involved.
"It is totally impossible,” he said.
"We would like to give this one a pass."
Picture courtesy of www.aitonline.tv
On Sunday, the whole of South Africa cheered...
Having initially focused on the budget motoring section...
DebtSafe advises consumers to save on monthly expenses. The company, specialising in Debt Review, recently released its results of a survey about spending and saving habits of consumers in South Africa.
WSU is set to enjoy at least three televised matches during their debut season in the FNB Varsity Football challenge kicking off on Monday night 20 July.
I have spent four days recently at the International Boys' School Coalition Conference in Cape Town...
Male sexual enhancement pills are considered to be one of the most counterfeited drugs in the world and according to the latest statistics, South Africans are among the biggest consumers of black market aphrodisiacs.
The hospitality industry has often suffered criticism for being slow on the technology uptake...
Burnley Football Club has secured the signing of Norwegian midfielder, Fredrik Ulvestad, on a three year contract, following the 22-year-old’s impressive skills during training at Turf Moor.
Orlando Pirates midfielder, Sifiso Myeni, has said that his team should not underestimate Chippa United, when they clash in their Premier Soccer League (PSL) match at the Orlando Stadium this evening.
Democratic Alliance (DA) Shadow Minister of Environmental Affairs, Thomas Hadebe, has said that party will launch an investigation with the Green Scorpions into the flowing of raw sewage water into the Swartkops River, which has amounted to “192 mega litres” since a pipe burst 15 weeks ago.
- Despite disruptions, NMMU says it remains committed to completing academic year
- Suspended SA Express flights to East London and Port Elizabeth resume in November
- What must fall: fees or the South African state?
- ACSA urges airline passengers to follow ban on Galaxy Note 7
- Councillors get first bite at draft legislation on problem buildings