CDC in the running for top empowered: Job Creation Award
The Coega Development Corporation (CDC) is yet again in the running for an Oliver Empowerment Award for the third consecutive time. The prestigious event will be hosted at Emperors Palace in Johannesburg on the 14th of April 2016.
The leading catalyst championing socio-economic development will be attending the 15th Annual Oliver Empowerment Awards as a finalist for the Top Empowered: Vision 2030 Award and the Top Empowered: Job Creation Award. In addition, the CDC is in line to receive the Honorary Legend of Empowerment and Transformation Award.
This award celebrates success and honours those who have made a significant contribution to transformation in South Africa. Absa Group Limited, Woolworths, Metropolitan Holdings and Super Group are also amongst some of the organisations’ who will be receiving this prestigious award.
“It has never been business as usual at the CDC, although we pride ourselves in being a performance driven organisation but, at the center of it all remains the mandate to pioneer socio-economic development in South Africa at large through skills development programmes that will in the long run, make the labour market accessible,” said CDC’s Marketing & Communications Manager, Dr Ayanda Vilakazi.
The Oliver Empowerment Awards celebrate companies and individuals for their contribution and commitment to empowerment in South Africa, recognising the efforts of businesses, civil society, the public sector and truly outstanding individuals. Additionally, the implementation of B-BBEE policies, annual revenue, implementation of effective internal B-BBEE measurement mechanics and other areas of business are all taken into consideration.
In the past two years, the CDC has competed with some of the most reputable companies in South Africa like: Netcare Limited, the South African Nuclear Energy Corporation, Clientele and Sanlam.
To date, the CDC has been awarded the Top Performing Parastal/Government Agency (2014), Top Empowered Public Service Award (2014) and the Top Employer of Choice Award (2015 and 2016). This year, the organization is in the running once again for the Top Empowered: Vision 2030 Award and the Top Empowered: Job Creation Award.
These accolades recognise the organisation that has contributed positively towards the alleviation of poverty in South Africa, through creating sustainable solutions which yield impactful and meaningful results for the community.
“We are absolutely delighted to be a finalist for these categories. This is indeed an indication of CDC’s commitment to transforming the socio-economic landscape of South Africa, and contributing to creating a healthy, well-balanced labour market,” said the CDC’s Executive Manager for Business Development, Christopher Mashigo.
The CDC, which manages South Africa’s largest and most successful Industrial Development Zone (IDZ), continues to excel despite economic challenges. In the 2014/2015 financial year (FY) the following was achieved:
- 8 147 South Africans received training from CDC (over 85 886 people trained since inception)
- 14 765 jobs created through various projects in the Coega IDZ and in the government infrastructure development programme (62 142 jobs since inception);
- Heightened SMME development through 46.17% procurement spend
- Increased youth economic participation and development through 185 interns enrolled in the Coega 18 months internship programme
- Created opportunities for employment for over 1249 people whose lives have been changed by acquiring drivers’ licenses through the Driver Training Programme;
- Through various CDC’s projects, in excess of 5.6 million people’s (10.6% of SA’s population) lives have been improved showing the impact CDC has to the economy and service delivery.
Image: CDC ANTICIPATES ANOTHER WIN: CDC enthusiastically anticipates the outcome of the 15th Annual Oliver Empowerment Awards.
BUILDING bridges and connecting with people were the driving force of business performance for almost 40% over target that propelled a Port Elizabeth Caltex service station to being crowned Caltex Eastern Cape Marketer’s Dealer of the Year...
food Breakfast is a great buffet spread and there are separate...
The Coega Development Corporation (CDC) has begun work...
Port Elizabeth police on Monday said that they arrested a man...
Again cell phone records dominated the first part of day nine...
The Nelson Mandela Bay Business Chamber says it agrees...
Comair has announced that, in line with a new ruling by...
Dutywa police arrested a 33 year-old man...
The South African government's decision to withdraw...
The Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University (NMMU) says...
- 'Classes' suspended at NMMU on Monday to allow for mediation process
- Port Elizabeth man slapped with 10-year jail term for attempted murder
- By tracking victim's iPhone, Port Alfred police pounce on alleged robber
- Withdrawal from the ICC: A sad day for South Africa and Africa
- Alleged housebreaking suspect killed by mob at Walter Sisulu University