Christopher Panayiotou lawyers continue with High Court bid for docket

DECEMBER 1, 2015

Murder-accused Christopher Panayiotou's legal team is expected to bring an application to the High Court in Port Elizabeth that the State hand over their client's docket.

During the last court appearance, Panayiotou's lawyer Terry Price asked that his motion to have access to the docket struck off the roll because the magistrate's court had no jurisdiction to make a ruling on the decision. He told the court he had already approached the high court on the matter.

Panayiotou's legal team is currently seeking access to the state docket, as part of a new bail application bid after his original bail application was denied on June 5.

They filed for access to the docket through the magistrate's court earlier this month but Price told the court during his last court appearance in the magistrate's court that the State was delaying the release of the docket and that all attempts his team had made to get it had been "thwarted".

Panayiotou stands accused of orchestrating the murder of his wife, 29-year-old school teacher Jayde, in April this year.

It is alleged he paid Luthando Siyoli, 31, a bouncer at his nightclub in Algoa Park, to hire a hit man, identified as Sizwezakhe Vumazonke, 30, to murder his wife. Late last month Sinethemba Nenembe, 28, was also linked to the case and would join Panayiotou and Vumazonke in the dock. Siyoli has since turned state witness.