Christopher Panayiotou not expected at Friday's meeting
The lawyers representing Port Elizabeth businessman Christopher Panayioutou, who is accused of masterminding the ‘staged’ abduction of his teacher wife, Jayde, are again expected to meet with prosecutors on Friday in what could be his latest bid for bail.
Friday’s meeting follows a similar meeting on Tuesday.
National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) spokesman, Tsepo Ndwalaza, confirmed to ANA that State Prosecutor, Advocate Marius Stander, had met with Alwyn Griebenow and Advocate Terry Price SC, who are representing Panayiotou, in chambers with Magistrate Abigail Beeton.
“I was informed of the meeting. There is a bid to get bail. They [Panayiotou’s legal team] want to see the docket. I don’t know more than that. I know that they will be meeting again on Friday.”
Panayiotou will not make a court appearance and details of the planned meeting have not been disclosed - but it could be his third bid at bail if his legal counsel can get their hands on the docket and show that the State's claim of "strong case" against him is non-existent.
In July, Panayiotou failed in his second attempt to get bail in the Grahamstown High Court after complaining about the appalling conditions at St Albans Prison. The court upheld an earlier ruling by Port Elizabeth Magistrate, Abigail Beeton, that he was a flight risk.
High Court Judge Goosens said if released Panayiotou could also tamper with evidence and interfere with witnesses and that no exceptional reasons were found for bail.
READ THE FULL JUDGEMENT HERE.
Panayiyoutou's legal team had sought to prove that Magistrate Beeton erred in denying him bail.
At the hearing, Panayiotou offered a R200 000 bail bond, having previously said he only could afford R50 000.
The case has attracted much attention following several cases of people dying at their spouse's hand.
In October, the case against Panayiotou and his co-accused, Sizwezakhe Vumazonke, was again postponed by Magistrate Jan Steenkamp to 2 December.
Panayiotou’s legal counsel was, however, not happy saying for the period - over five months, that their client has been in custody, they were still to receive the State's docket.
He said that all attempts to get the docket had also failed.
The State said that investigations were still in progress.
Price said that they were now considering approaching the High Court to have the State release the docket.
On 29 October, Port Elizabeth police announced that they had made another breakthrough in the case and had arrested a third suspect.
The third suspect, 28 year-old Sinethemba Nenembe, was actually in police custody for another murder in Port Elizabeth, when police uncovered his link to the Panayiotou case.
There has been an increase in reports of email hacking scams...
In a very low-scoring affair, Eastern Province managed to...
Despite some rains that have fallen over the Eastern Cape...
There’s a big difference between 200 and 15 000 hectares...
Two security company personnel are expected in court soon after they were busted by Uitenhage police officers for illegal hunting. According to police spokesperson, Captain Gerda...
Audiences in 36 countries have sat mesmerised as Quinton...
In one of the major adroit signings made ahead...
Newly formed boy band, 156, will have SA Idols’ fans...
The challenges faced by the Nelson Mandela Bay Agricultural...
- Hijackers flee after crashing vehicle during early Monday morning police chase
- Severe thunderstorms expected over eastern half of Eastern Cape
- Man arrested in Port Elizabeth while driving car belonging to missing woman
- Nothing wrong with employing #FeesMustFall activists if they never broke the law: NMMU
- Bridge Street Brewery says 'Au Revoir' To Charlie Finch