Clarkson completes final lap of Top Gear track

BY CHARL BOSCH - JULY 14, 2015

Former Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson took his final lap around the famed motoring show’s Dunsfold Aerodrome test track yesterday.

The star, who was fired from the smash-hit motoring show in March for punching Associate Producer, Oisin Tymon, in an alleged fracas over hot food, posted a number of images on twitter with one picturing him sitting in a car with racing driver Marino Franchitti and Pink Floyd drummer Nick Mason, while another sees him standing on a stretch of track in front of a Mercedes-AMG GT S, a Ferrari 488 GTB and a Ferrari LaFerrari, asking his 5.3-million followers which one he should choose. He however didn’t reveal his eventual choice.

His final lap also formed part of a charity bid announced one week before his firing, which was eventually auctioned off for £100 000 (R180 000).

“I would like to do one last lap. I'll go down to Surrey and I'll do one last lap of that track before the f****** bastards sack me,” he said during the announcement in an explicit laden speech at London’s Roundhouse Theatre, in which he also called BBC bosses a “bunch of f******* bastards”.

“It was a great show and they’ve f****** it up. I’ll be a bit tearful when I do it, but f*** it, let’s do it,” he said to cheers from the audience.

In a post after his final lap, he tweeted, “2 good things about the last lap. It raised a load of cash for a good cause. And I did the motherf****r of all tail slides through Chicago”.

Last month, the broadcaster announced that radio and television personality, Chris Evans, had singed a three year deal to front the re-launched show while auditions would take place to find suitable co-presenters, after Richard Hammond and James May announced they would not be continuing without Clarkson.

The announcement received widespread criticism from fans on social media with many vowing to never watch the show a and some even threatening to cancel their television license.

Speculation had also continued to mount that the trio had signed a deal with online streaming provider, Netflix, to host a show after it earlier emerged that a clause in their contact prevents them from hosting another motoring related show on British television, until 2017.

 

IMAGE from @jeremyclarkson on twitter