Class of 2014: Probe into matric group copying continues
The Department of Basic Education (DBE) on Sunday said the first phase of the investigation into irregularities involving mass copying in the 2014 National Senior Certificate (NSC) examination has been completed.
“A team comprising the DBE, Umalusi representatives and provincial Education Department officials in the affected provinces completed the first phase of the investigation last week,” the department said.
The second phase will commence on Monday, with a team that will conduct hearings starting with chief invigilators and invigilators.
The department said the affected matriculants will also appear before the committee to tell their side of the story.
“Umalusi will monitor the entire process while teacher unions will observe the hearings,” the department said.
This after Umalusi disapproved the release of grade 12 results of 39 centres in KwaZulu-Natal and 19 centres in the Eastern Cape due to evidence of group copying. DBE has since started investigating the case.
“Between 23 and 26 January, the Provincial Examination and Assessment Irregularities Committee will submit its recommendations to the National Examination and Assessment Irregularities Committee.
“The final outcome of the investigation will be announced and the results of the candidates whose cases have been cleared will be released. Letters of sanction for candidates found guilty of involvement will then be released,” the department said.
Department spokesperson Elijah Mhlanga said investigations should be concluded as soon as possible to allow learners who are cleared of wrongdoing to continue with their lives and take advantage of opportunities available to them.
The department said those who wish to appeal the outcomes of the investigation will be given an opportunity to do so.
“The final announcement on the investigation is expected to be made by 30 January. More than 5 300 candidates from all provinces are currently being investigated for various alleged irregularities, including mass copying arising from the 2014 Grade 12 final examinations,” the department said. - SAnews.gov.za
Four people, including a woman, escaped unhurt after...
On Sunday, the whole of South Africa cheered...
DebtSafe advises consumers to save on monthly expenses. The company, specialising in Debt Review, recently released its results of a survey about spending and saving habits of consumers in South Africa.
Male sexual enhancement pills are considered to be one of the most counterfeited drugs in the world and according to the latest statistics, South Africans are among the biggest consumers of black market aphrodisiacs.
The hospitality industry has often suffered criticism for being slow on the technology uptake...
Democratic Alliance (DA) Shadow Minister of Environmental Affairs, Thomas Hadebe, has said that party will launch an investigation with the Green Scorpions into the flowing of raw sewage water into the Swartkops River, which has amounted to “192 mega litres” since a pipe burst 15 weeks ago.
An application by various media houses to have Parliament show uninterrupted proceedings of events taking place in the Chamber, has been rejected by the Western Cape High Court.
Parliament has released a document showing the six questions that will be answered by President Jacob Zuma during his questions and answers session in the National Assembly on Wednesday.
Power utility, Eskom, has announced a medium to high probability of it implementing load-shedding for Monday...
- Ford Kugas Burning: Early data shows lack of coolant circulation is the cause says Ford SA
- Another fuel price hike predicated at the end of January
- Stolen electronics valued at R80 000 and destined for PE intercepted in Alexandria
- Case against New Year's Day rape accused postponed to Thursday
- Over 61 800 speeding tickets issued in Bay during summer season