'Classes' again suspended at NMMU, hints on mediation making headway
The Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University (NMMU) says academic business will again be suspended on Wednesday owing to the ongoing mediation process between the university and its stakeholders, who include concerned parents and student leaders. However, the university hinted on what might be some progress towards re-opening the academic year in a brief statement to students.
"The mediation has reached a point at which the issues mediated need to be presented at a mass meeting, which the FMF movement is arranging tomorrow [Wednesday]," the NMMU said in the statement.
"Classes will remain suspended for the day.
"Once again, thank you for your patience and resilience."
Despite the NMMU, which has been closed for over a month now, trying to engage students so that they can go back to class, concerned parents had formed an association to take the NMMU to court over its continued shutdown.
The Grahamstown High Courtordered that the NMMU and its various stakeholders, including CAPTU and the protesting students, had until the 13th of October to find common ground, with the aid of a professional mediator, before the courts can intervene.
The parties failed to reach an agreement at that mediation.
However, the parents could not go back to court owing to an intedict taken out by the university.
It led to this second round of talks.
#FeesMustFall protests broke out on the 19th of September across the country after the Minister of Higher Education, Blade Nzimande, recommended an 8% fee increment for affording students.
Previously, the NMMU stated that if students do not return to class next week, it will be forced to shut down for the 2016 academic year.
That will effectively mean that students will have to repeat the year again in 2017 – a particularly stressful prospect, especially for paying parents as well as international students.
Several efforts to resolve the impasse at the NMMU have failed.
Different groups - different agendas
Preventing the speedy resolution to the impasse at the institution is that divisions have since emerged among the protesting students.
Various student groupings, including the Student Representative Council (SRC), initially formed a coalition to collectively voice their concerns in relation to the announcement, but were divided in their approach.
However, by the 21st of September, it emerged that the SRC was no longer part of the coalition. At the end of the week, the NMMU had actually received petitions from four different student formations in Port Elizabeth and George, and responded to each.
Below are the four memoranda received from four student formations at NMMU being the SRC, the George Campus Student Council, the student FMF coalition in PE and the FMF movement on the George Campus.
The Headmaster of St George’s Preparatory School, Mr Alex Hall...
With the objective of opening the world of literature to the...
The St Andrew’s College 1st XV got off to a dream...
The African National Congress (ANC) in the Nelson Mandela Bay has called for a media briefing in the afternoon at its Florence Matomela House offices in Port Elizabeth where it is expected...
Did you know 1 in 4 children experience vision problems...
Noragi Elsie Zamela’s long wait for confirmation of her ...
The 1st netball team from the Diocesan School for Girls...
Eastern Cape MEC for Economic Development...
Several suspects are expected in various courts in Port...
- Police intercept drugs worth R1.5 million destined for Eastern Cape, two men and woman arrested
- Police investigating after PE doctor robbed at gunpoint at his surgery
- Three men expected in court for Uitenhage house robbery
- NMMU Vice-Chancellor’s Scholarship award recipients ready to do proud
- EC MBA hosts Health & Safety Conference to address ‘burning’ questions in building industries