Contralesa asks Zuma to pardon King Dalindyebo

JANUARY 26, 2016

President Jacob Zuma has received a petition and letter asking that he consider granting AbaThembu King Buyelekhaya Dalindyebo a presidential pardon, the Presidency said on Monday.

The letter and petition were sent by the Eastern Cape chairperson of the Congress of Traditional Leaders of South Africa (Contralesa), Inkosi Mwelo Nonkonyane.

"The President has duly forwarded the petition and letter to the Minister of Justice and Correctional Services for further processing as the department responsible for such applications," spokesperson Bongani Majola said.

"Upon completion of all the internal processes, the minister will submit the king's application for pardon to the president for a decision."

Dalindyebo started serving a 12-year sentence last month after unsuccessfully trying several legal avenues to avoid jail.

In 2009, he was sentenced to 15 years in prison for culpable homicide, assault with intent to do grievous bodily harm, arson, and kidnapping. He was granted bail pending the outcome of his appeal to the Supreme Court of Appeal. In October last year, the SCA set aside his culpable homicide conviction and reduced his sentence to 12 years.

His crimes involved treatment he meted out to some of his subjects in 1995 and 1996.

Less than a month into his 12-year jail term, Dalindyebo is recovering from an ailment at a private hospital in the Eastern Cape. It is the second time he has been admitted since all his appeals and a petition to the Justice Minister Michael Masutha failed. His family earlier said he suffered from a stomach ulcer.