Correctional Services: No special treatment for Oscar

BY CHARL BOSCH - AUGUST 18, 2015

The Department of Correctional Services has indicated that no special treatment would be given when Paralympian Oscar Pistorius is released from jail on Friday.

According to Eyewitness News, department spokesperson Logan Maistry said Pistorius, who only served 10 months of a five year sentence behind bars for the shooting and killing of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp on Valentine’s Day 2013, would be subjected to strict conditions as part of serving the remainder of his sentence under Correctional Supervision.

“The release of the said offender is in accordance with imposed and as directed by the court, which said the offender must serve one sixth of his or her sentence in custody and continue to serve the remaining period of the sentence under correctional supervision,” he was quoted as saying.

It has meanwhile been reported that the National Prosecuting Authority had filled documents appealing the athlete’s culpable homicide conviction, while a similar complaint has also been lodged by the State claiming that North Gauteng High Court Judge Tokozile Masipa incorrectly applied the principle of dolus eventualis when she sentenced Pistorius in October last year.