CRIME STATS HIGHLIGHTS: Eastern Cape records SA's highest increase in murders
According to the 2015/2016 Annual Crime Statistics released by the Nkosinathi Nhleko, on Friday before Parliament’s Police Portfolio Committee, the Eastern Cape recorded the highest increase in the number of murders - 3,649 murders recorded for 2015-16 representing a 9.9% increase.
Nationally the number of murders increased by 4.9% and the only province to show a decrease in the murder rate was the Northern Cape, with a drop of 9.9%.
Gauteng, which many people believe is the murder and crime capital of South Africa, recorded a 4.7% increase after 3842 murders were reported to police.
While 1.7 million charges were laid in 2015/16 for reported crimes (83%); 65.9% of community reported crimes are contact related or property related. Community reported crimes decreased by more than 9% since 2006.
Minister Nhleko said that contact crimes (Murder, sexual offences, attempted murder, assault with intent to inflict grievous bodily harm, common assault, etc.) increased by 1% in current financial year, over 10 years 14% decrease.
- Common assault up 2% in current year.
- Sexual offences decreasing sharply since 2013/14, down 3.2% in past year.
- Attempted murder up 3.4% compared to previous year.
- Assault GBH [grievous bodily harm] up 0.2% over previous year.
- The three crimes of carjacking, residential robbery, non-residential robbery up 0.3%.
- Common robbery down 1.5%.
- The rate of increase for robbery with aggravating circumstances is said to be slowing.
- Docket analysis shows for murder, for example, multiple murders in one scenario can be found in a single case of domestic violence.
- 95% of contact crime happen in shebeens or bars.
- Robbery with aggravating circumstances up 2.7%.
- Arson down 4.4%.
- Contact related crimes down 0.6%.
- Bank robberies down 64.7%.
- Cash in transit robberies up 15.1%.
- Truck hijacking turned around – decrease of 7.4%.
- Robbery at non-residential up 2.8%.
- Robbery at residential up 19.3% in Western Cape province.
- Robbery at residential up 2.7%.
- Carjacking up 14.3%.
MORE DETAILS TO FOLLOW
---additional reporting eNCA;
The Coega Industrial Development Zone (IDZ) has signed 61...
The South African National Roads Agency SOC Ltd...
KwaDwesi Crime Prevention Unit members on Thursday acted on a tip-off about police uniforms at a house in Mbaba Street, in KwaDwesi, Port Elizabeth...
Against the background of a calm and orderly 2017...
Eastern Cape Premier, Phumulo Masualle, repeatedly said...
Amid pomp and fanfare, Eastern Cape Premier, Phumulo...
In 2016 the matter of whether non-executive directors...
FNB NMMU-Madibaz skipper Kevin Kaba is banking on his...
Willowvale police on Friday appealed to the public to...
Known as the ‘most famous white woman in South Africa...
- Eastern Cape receives billions in investments
- Police find handcuffs, fake international passports, fake SA IDs etc in KwaDwesi
- VIDEO: Evita Bezuidenhout talks about her Port Elizabeth show – the ‘State of the Nation Address’
- SOPA 2017: Premier Masualle must be 'living in his own echo chamber' - DA
- FULL SPEECH: Eastern Cape Premier Phumulo Masualle delivers his 2017 State of the Province