DA Cabinet Score Card: Zuma gets F-
The Democratic Alliance (DA) has rated the performance of cabinet and President Jacob Zuma during 2015, as one of the worst since the advent of democracy in 1994.
In tabling the party’s annual Cabinet Report Card on Friday, party leader Mmusi Maimane said Zuma’s recent comments that the interest of the ruling African National Congress (ANC) comes before those of South Africa, has been the hallmark of the year and justifies his scoring of an F minus.
“President Zuma has failed South Africa on all accounts and has done immeasurable damage to our economy and our image abroad,” Maimane said.
“With South Africa facing crises on many fronts including inadequate higher education funding, rising unemployment, slow economic growth and the worst drought since 1992, the President has done little more than laugh in the face of struggling South Africans”.
According to Maimane, reasons for Zuma’s rating include
- failure to denounce speculation over the purchase of the controversial R4-billion presidential jet
- showing a complete lack of empathy towards citizens
- ignoring the findings of Public Protector Thuli Madonsela regarding the upgrades at his private Nkandla homestead
- breaking international law by allowing Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir into the country
- remaining mum while students protested outside Parliament during the #feesmustfall campaign
- failing to take any action regarding the Marikana tragedy and crisis surrounding the Passenger Rail Agency of South Africa (PRASA)
- responding inadequately or evasively to questions posed by the National Assembly
Zuma’s cabinet was also adjudged to have performed poorly with 13 ministers scoring lower ratings than last year, the worst, an F-minus, being Water and Sanitation Minister Nomvula Mokanyane, embattled Communications Minister Faith Muthambi and Social Development Minister Bathabile Dlamini.
Science and Technology Minister, Naledi Pandor, was again rated as having performed the best with a B.
The remainder of the scores are as follows:
|Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa||D|
|Finance Minister Nhlanhla Nene||C|
|Economic Development Minister Ebrahim Patel||D|
|Labour Minister Mildred Oliphant||F|
|Small Business Development Minister Lindiwe Zulu||D|
|Trade and Industry Minister Rob Davies||D|
|Defence and Military Veterans Minister Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula||E|
|Justice and Correctional Services Minister Michael Masutha||D-|
|Police Minister Nathi Nhleko||E|
|State Security Minister David Mahlobo||D|
|Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs Minister Pravin Gordhan||D|
|Health Minister Dr Aaron Motsoaledi||C|
|Human Settlements Minister Lindiwe Sisulu||D|
|Home Affairs Minister Malusi Gigaba||F|
|International Relations and Coopeations Minister Maite Nkoane-Mashabane||D|
|Minister in the Presidency for Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation Jeff Radebe||C|
|Telecommunications and Postal Services Minister Siyabonda Cwele||E|
|Public Works Minister Thulas Nxesi||C|
|Transport Minister Dipuo Peters||E|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries Minister Senzani Zokwana||E|
|Environmental Affairs Minister Edna Molewa||C|
|Mineral Resources Minister Mosebenzi Zwane||E|
|Public Enterprises Minister Lynne Brown||D|
|Energy Minister Tina Joematt-Petterson||F|
|Rural Development and Land Reform Minister Gugile Nkwinti||E|
|Tourism Minister Derek Hanekom||C|
|Arts and Culture Minister Nathi Mthethwa||D|
|Basic Education Minister Angie Motshekga||D|
|Higher Education Minister Blade Nzimande||F|
|Sports and Recreation Minister Fikile Mbalula||E|
|Minister of Woman in the Presidency Susan Shabangu||F|
|Public Services and Administration Minster Ngoako Ramathlodi||E|
Many see the decision by South Africa’s governing African National Congress (ANC) to send the disgraced former CEO of the power utility Eskom to parliament as the precursor to...
The Eastern Cape’s renewable energy projects has created...
With the match showing to be a game of two...
Eastcape Training Centre (ETC) celebrates over 40 years in...
The South African National Roads Agency SOC Ltd...
The Warriors slumped to a 44-run loss to the...
THE best of Nelson Mandela Bay female boxers will feature...
With only two nights to go until the opening night of the circus...
Almost two months into the 2017 school year, a presentation...
- Alexandria man in court for possession of drugs and stolen property worth R120 000
- NMMU expresses shock at discriminatory comments allegedly made by staff member
- Man in police custody after being caught raping teenage girl
- Buffalo City Municipality ANC Councillor bunks all meetings since August 2016; DA wants her gone
- Eastern Cape receives billions in investments