DA Cabinet Score Card: Zuma gets F-
The Democratic Alliance (DA) has rated the performance of cabinet and President Jacob Zuma during 2015, as one of the worst since the advent of democracy in 1994.
In tabling the party’s annual Cabinet Report Card on Friday, party leader Mmusi Maimane said Zuma’s recent comments that the interest of the ruling African National Congress (ANC) comes before those of South Africa, has been the hallmark of the year and justifies his scoring of an F minus.
“President Zuma has failed South Africa on all accounts and has done immeasurable damage to our economy and our image abroad,” Maimane said.
“With South Africa facing crises on many fronts including inadequate higher education funding, rising unemployment, slow economic growth and the worst drought since 1992, the President has done little more than laugh in the face of struggling South Africans”.
According to Maimane, reasons for Zuma’s rating include
- failure to denounce speculation over the purchase of the controversial R4-billion presidential jet
- showing a complete lack of empathy towards citizens
- ignoring the findings of Public Protector Thuli Madonsela regarding the upgrades at his private Nkandla homestead
- breaking international law by allowing Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir into the country
- remaining mum while students protested outside Parliament during the #feesmustfall campaign
- failing to take any action regarding the Marikana tragedy and crisis surrounding the Passenger Rail Agency of South Africa (PRASA)
- responding inadequately or evasively to questions posed by the National Assembly
Zuma’s cabinet was also adjudged to have performed poorly with 13 ministers scoring lower ratings than last year, the worst, an F-minus, being Water and Sanitation Minister Nomvula Mokanyane, embattled Communications Minister Faith Muthambi and Social Development Minister Bathabile Dlamini.
Science and Technology Minister, Naledi Pandor, was again rated as having performed the best with a B.
The remainder of the scores are as follows:
|Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa||D|
|Finance Minister Nhlanhla Nene||C|
|Economic Development Minister Ebrahim Patel||D|
|Labour Minister Mildred Oliphant||F|
|Small Business Development Minister Lindiwe Zulu||D|
|Trade and Industry Minister Rob Davies||D|
|Defence and Military Veterans Minister Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula||E|
|Justice and Correctional Services Minister Michael Masutha||D-|
|Police Minister Nathi Nhleko||E|
|State Security Minister David Mahlobo||D|
|Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs Minister Pravin Gordhan||D|
|Health Minister Dr Aaron Motsoaledi||C|
|Human Settlements Minister Lindiwe Sisulu||D|
|Home Affairs Minister Malusi Gigaba||F|
|International Relations and Coopeations Minister Maite Nkoane-Mashabane||D|
|Minister in the Presidency for Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation Jeff Radebe||C|
|Telecommunications and Postal Services Minister Siyabonda Cwele||E|
|Public Works Minister Thulas Nxesi||C|
|Transport Minister Dipuo Peters||E|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries Minister Senzani Zokwana||E|
|Environmental Affairs Minister Edna Molewa||C|
|Mineral Resources Minister Mosebenzi Zwane||E|
|Public Enterprises Minister Lynne Brown||D|
|Energy Minister Tina Joematt-Petterson||F|
|Rural Development and Land Reform Minister Gugile Nkwinti||E|
|Tourism Minister Derek Hanekom||C|
|Arts and Culture Minister Nathi Mthethwa||D|
|Basic Education Minister Angie Motshekga||D|
|Higher Education Minister Blade Nzimande||F|
|Sports and Recreation Minister Fikile Mbalula||E|
|Minister of Woman in the Presidency Susan Shabangu||F|
|Public Services and Administration Minster Ngoako Ramathlodi||E|
Chippa United would feel more at ease after much...
The Back to Basics approach adopted by Eastern Cape police is bearing fruit as 'good old fashioned police work' resulted in the arrest of 821 suspects and the seizure of 28 illegal firearms in the past week alone, says Easter Cape SAPS Provincial ...
Let’s be honest, whoever came up with the idea...
Steven Berg, a fibre artisan and reality TV star...
The Eastern Province Rugby Union Grand Challenge resumed again...
Three robbery suspects were arrested within 25 minutes of...
Several disruptive operations that were conducted over the...
Hawkers at East London's popular hang-out spot, Ebuhlanti...
Each month, uShaka Marine World’s Wahooz on...
- Metro cops seize laptops from officials after irregular payments
- Time for Port Elizabeth's 'sleeping giant' to wake up to UDZ rebates
- East London woman scarred for life after horror abortion at illegal clinic
- Will the Freedom Movement pull it off without Save South Africa?
- President Zuma to bestow 2017 National Orders Awards