DA calls on Buffalo City Municipality to act swiftly on AG's recommendations
The Democratic Alliance (DA) in the Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality on Wednesday said that the municipality should act swiftly in implementing the recommendations of the Auditor General on the municipality's 2015/2016 audit.
"These 'human errors' that were stated, have cost the metro millions in wasted funds, which could have been used to fund other projects to ensure better service delivery," said the DA's Chantel King, MP for Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality.
The Auditor General’s findings were as follows:
- Irregular expenditure for the 2015/16 financial year is at R199 million, although a slight downward trend, it is still too high.
- BCMM continues to incur irregular expenditure and is not dealing with the identified irregular expenditure.
- Unauthorised expenditure for the 2015/16 financial year amounts to R22 million.
- Increased deviations are a major cause of unauthorised expenditure, which is due to a lack of planning and alignment between directorates.
- Inability to collect billed revenue.
- Depreciation and impairment cost being above budgeted amounts.
- Ineffective and inefficiency at Supply Chain Management (SCM) lead to uncompetitive or unfair procurement processes, inadequate contract management, inefficient record keeping and lack of adequate systems in place.
King said that the DA notes with concern the findings of the AG and ask for:
- An internal investigation into the SCM department.
- Open the tender processes to ensure transparency.
- E-procurement and Electronic Data Management Systems (EDMS) to be implemented and continuously monitored.
- A skills audit of employees to ensure a proper alignment of the organogram.
- Proper performance management systems for employees.
- Consequence Management policy to be in place, which must be communicated to unions and employees.
- Internal task team(s) set up to deal with contract and project management.
"The finance portfolio head needs to be experienced and knowledgeable in finances to ensure that municipal officials report accurately on financial matters in the Metro," she said.
"The DA calls on the Municipal Manager and the Executive Mayor to respond to the findings of the AG to ensure an accountable and a financially sound Metro."
The South African Communist Party (SACP) in the Eastern...
For many young South Africans, getting a tertiary education...
A 45-year-old man is expected in court on Monday after he was...
Three men are expected in court on Monday after they were...
Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa says industry must partner...
Police in KwaZakhele, Port Elizabeth, are investigating...
In association with Belgotex Sport – Greenfields SA, South Africa’s...
The Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality on Friday advised...
The economic transformation discussion...
The South African National Roads Agency (SANRAL) would...
- Police intercept drugs worth R1.5 million destined for Eastern Cape, two men and woman arrested
- Three men expected in court for Uitenhage house robbery
- Police investigating after PE doctor robbed at gunpoint at his surgery
- EC MBA hosts Health & Safety Conference to address ‘burning’ questions in building industries
- SOPA 2017: Premier Masualle must put province on path to prosperity - DA