DA condemns shooting at EC constituency office, blames ANC

BY CHARL BOSCH - FEBRUARY 8, 2016

The Democratic Alliance (DA) in Nelson Mandela Bay has said it would be launching an investigation after an alleged shooting incident at its Ngqura Constituency Office in Kwazakhele last week.

Speaking in a statement, DA provincial leader Athol Trollip said a number of armed men entered the office on Friday afternoon, after which a shot was fired and a number of DA members robbed of their cellphones and bank cards.

According to Trollip, the incident came days after African National Congress (ANC) MP, Lulu Johnson, told mourners at a funeral that they should go the DA’s office in the area, and “deal with them (DA members)”.

He also stated that Eastern Cape Co-operative Governance and Traditional Affairs MEC, Fikile Xasa, as well as ANC MP Tony Duba told gatherers at the same event that they should protect the elderly from “unruly ill disciplined "Youth" / DA, and that a “war had begun to protect the ANC’s branches”.

“The timing of this life-threatening incident is extremely suspicious, given the recent alleged utterances of these ANC public representatives, and prompts tough questions as to whether their alleged comments led to this criminal act,” Trollip said.

“It is clear that the ANC is threatened by the huge inroads the DA is making in traditional ANC strongholds. We are not intimidated by these incited acts of violence and will continue to surge towards victory at this year’s local government election”.

The comment from the ruling party is has yet been made.