DA to investigate R744-million unauthorised expenditure in Nelson Mandela Bay

BY CHARL BOSCH - FEBRUARY 16, 2015

The Democratic Alliance (DA) has called for an immediate forensic investigation into the unauthorised expenditure of R744-million incurred by the Nelson Mandela Bay Metropolitan Municipality (NMBM) during the 2013 / 2014 financial year.

“Last year, the Auditor-General (Kimi Makwethu) awarded the metro with a qualified opinion and stated that the amount of R744 million might not be the full unauthorised expenditure incurred,” the party’s Shadow Minister of Co-operative Governance and Traditional Affairs, Kevin Mileham, said in a statement.

He added that the party strongly opposes a report tabled last month, in which Mayor Benson Fihla, had asked a special sitting of council to write of the amount of R743 928 574.

“A forensic audit needs to be done to determine the full extent of this financial mismanagement, so that those responsible can be held to account.

“The ANC is running this municipality into the ground and should not be allowed to sweep hundreds of millions under the carpet that would otherwise have gone toward basic service delivery for residents.” Mileham said.