Decapitated, decomposing body found on East London beach
The headless body of a man was discovered on the rocks near Eastern Beach in East London on Tuesday morning. The body was dressed in a black tracksuit top, blue underpants and black boots.
Local police later found a sharp knife nearby while a sniffer dog traced the missing head to a pool of water close by.
It is believed that the man could have been murdered and decapitated elsewhere and his body dumped near Eastern Beach.
As fat would have it, a municipal CCTV camera installed close by will only go live in the second week of December.
East London police were called to the scene by lifeguard Zama Khawula who reportedly discovered the body just before 8.30am while en-route to the Eastern Beach lifesaver’s shack.
“I was walking on the sidewalk and looking towards the sea when I saw the body lying on the rocks. I was shocked, I immediately jumped into the road to stopping cars for help but motorists ignored me,” Khawula told the local newspaper, Daily Dispatch.
“After calling the police [at the Eastern Beach lifesaver’s shack], I ran back to the scene and waited. I noticed a patrol van approaching and stopped it. The police used their radio to summon other cops.”
Police spokesman Captain Stephen Marais said that it appeared the man – probably in his 30s, had been dead for about a week. His body and head were already badly decomposed.
Marais said police would await a post-mortem and that an inquest docket had been opened.
Another decapitation in Port Elizbeth
Meanwhile, charges against one of three men accused murdering a Chinese interpreter in Port Elizabeth were dropped by the state on Tuesday.
The charges against Jade Gardens restaurant manager Qiu Ming Chen were being withdrawn following progress in the investigation.
Chen and his two co-accused had been charged with the gruesome murder of Zhi Duan Huang at the Humewood restaurant on October 5. Huang’s head was chopped off with a sword.
The three were also charged with the possession of a dangerous weapon and defeating the ends of justice after witnesses had been intimidated.
With the 2016 Matric Examinations well underway and the Eastern Cape again hoping to improve on last year's results, the Eastern Cape Department of Education (ECDOE) on Friday announced that well-experienced retired teachers had been roped in to mentor some 560 under-performing schools in the...
SA EXPRESS recently announced that it would not withdraw...
Five suspects, aged between 23 and 34 years, are expected...
Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality Councillors had the...
The Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University (NMMU) on...
The Airports Company South Africa (ACSA) has reminded...
Coming to the end of the year I am under a lot of pressure...
The official trailer for the third Wolverine movie...
The records from a phone allegedly used by Port Elizabeth...
- Despite disruptions, NMMU says it remains committed to completing academic year
- Suspended SA Express flights to East London and Port Elizabeth resume in November
- What must fall: fees or the South African state?
- ACSA urges airline passengers to follow ban on Galaxy Note 7
- Councillors get first bite at draft legislation on problem buildings