Dept has four months to decide on Pistorius release
Notice of a legal challenge to the suspension of Oscar Pistorius's early release from prison had not yet been received by the Department of Justice and Correctional Services spokesperson advocate Mthunzi Mhaga said on Thursday morning.
This means Pistorius could wait up to four months to hear if he would eventually be released on correctional supervision, after an initial decision to release him on Friday was suddenly suspended.
“The board has four months within which to deal and decide on the matter,” said Mhaga.
Former Paralympian Pistorius was set to have been released on Friday, after serving 10 months of his five year sentence for the culpable homicide of his model and law graduate girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp on February 14 2013.
A three year sentence for discharging a firearm in a restaurant in Melrose was suspended for five years.
On Wednesday, the ministry announced that the June 5 decision to release the double amputee on correctional supervision on August 21 was made prematurely.
In terms of the Correctional Services Act, such considerations can only be made once Pistorius had served a full sixth of his sentence, which he had not yet done by June 5 according to the department's calculations.
Mthunzi explained that the National Council on Correctional Services comprises of three judges, a magistrate, a director of public prosecutions, two members of the department, a general from the SA Police Service, a representative from the Department of Social Development and two academic experts in the field of criminology.
Pistorius family ‘considering options’
Also on the committee is a penologist, attorneys, clinical psychologists and community members who represent the victims and community.
After Thursday's surprise announcement, the Pistorius family spokesperson, Anneliese Burgess, told News24: "We accept the decision made by the minister of justice and are considering our options.''
The department's decision came after the Progressive Women’s Movement of SA filed a petition opposing his release during “Women's Month”.
While considering this petition, it came to light that the decision to release Pistorius had been made too soon.
During his trial, Pistorius admitted that he had shot Steenkamp, but thought a burglar was hiding behind the toilet door that he shot through.
It was only afterwards that he realised it was Steenkamp. He was charged with murder, but the High Court in Pretoria decided to find him guilty of culpable homicide.
The Gauteng Directorate of Public Prosecutions has filed an appeal over this to the Supreme Court of Appeal, in a bid to have the conviction changed to murder. This could be heard in November.
- News24 Wire
South African 400m hurdler LJ van Zyl has taken on the...
The talent acquisition wish-list is clear...
The public is advised that folllowing a Council decision...
The Executive Mayor of George, Aldm Melvin Naik...
The Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality on Thursday said that it is determined to win its war on leaks with the appointment of plumbers to fix leakages across the Bay. "Water is a precious...
George Municipality celebrated World AIDS Day...
I have been privileged to be the Principal and a Director...
The Warriors go into battle mode with two T20 Challenge...
Having arrived at the mouth of the Great Fish River...
Mini pastry chefs in the making are exploring their culinary...
- Body of missing Port Alfred woman recovered in deep gorge outside Grahamstown
- Severe thunderstorms, high discomfort levels and veld fire conditions expected today
- BE ADVISED: Water shut down in Sardinia Bay and Seaview
- R51 million paid out to public in cases against SAPS Eastern Cape - R3.5 billion more is in pending cases!
- Second veld fire in Circular drive, Port Elizabeth, brought under control