Derailed PRASA loco still being tested, lacked safety permits
The Railway Safety Regulator (RSR) has reportedly indicated that the Passenger Rail Agency of South Africa’s (PRASA) derailed Afro 4000 diesel locomotive, was still being commissioned and should not have been hauling a train with people on-board.
A reported 64 passengers were injured when the Shosholoza Meyl passenger train partially derailed near the town of Modderrivier in the Northern Cape on Tuesday night, some 500 metres from a bridge that had been undergoing regular maintenance.
It has been alleged that neither the driver nor his assistant had been informed about the repairs and that the train, which had been travelling from Johannesburg to Cape Town, might have been going at his normal speed instead of the imposed 30 km/h on sections under maintenance.
“If there are passengers, it should be non-paying passengers such as technical staff members, who are part of the testing and commissioning,” RSR spokesperson Babalwa Mpendu was quoted by The Times as saying.
In a statement yesterday, PRASA spokesperson Mthura Swartz said the accident had nothing to do with the controversial locomotive’s flunking of height restrictions, after newspaper reports last month found that the 13 units made by Spanish manufacturer Vossloh Espana, exceeded the limits on sections with overhead wires, by measuring 4 140 mm instead of the required 3 962 mm.
Speaking in a statement, Democratic Alliance (DA) Deputy Shadow Minister for Transport, Chris Hunsinger, said the party would be submitting a motion to Parliament’s Portfolio Committee on Transport, to have PRASA explain why no safety permits had been issued for the trains.
“While there is no clarity on what caused the accident, it is cause for great concern that these trains were carrying passengers without the necessary clearance,” Hunsinger said, adding that a similar request will also be submitted to Transport Minister, Dipuo Peters.
“The Afro 4000 locomotives have been controversial from the outset. PRASA needs to explain to the committee why these locomotives were operational without a proper safety permit, thus putting people’s lives at serious risk”.
READ MORE: AXED PRASA CEO THROWS BRICK AT JOURNALIST
READ MORE: "MOLEFE NEVER BLACKMAILED MTIMKULU" - PRASA
READ MORE: PRASA WANTS MTIMKULU TO PAY BACK THE MONEY
READ MORE: MADONSELA DELAYS PRASA REPORT
READ MORE: MONTANA MUM ON DISMISSAl DETAILS
READ MORE: PRASA CEO LUCKY MONTANA FIRED
READ MORE: REPORT: RED LIGHTS OVER PRASA LOCO PRICING
READ MORE: CLEARANCE CONCERNS WILL BE ADDRESSED - PRASA
READ MORE: MTIMKULU NEEDS TO BE SUSPENDED - DA
READ MORE: "WE ARE SATISFIED WITH MTIMKULU" - PRASA
Whilst the summer season is not yet fully complete, NMBT can provide preliminary results indicators which show the local tourism sector’s success. These results show that during December 2016, approximately 393 615 bednights were sold...
The Toyota Forklift company, which is based in...
The five South African National Parks in the Frontier Region...
Swift police response led to the rescue of a visiting American...
"I have no plan on dying any time soon!" Believe it or not...
The Eastern Province Triathlon Championships...
The Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality has advised all residents...
Two men are expected to appear in the Peddie Magistrate's ...
The Tsomo Regional Court on Monday convicted and...
- Notification of the interruption of the electricity supply - The following areas will be affected
- Man handed lengthy jail sentence for mystery 2016 murder
- 24-year-old woman arrested for possession of illegal firearm and ammunition
- Visiting elderly American couple rescued after hijacking in Uitenhage
- Programme to enhance skills of learner drivers