Dora Nginza Hospital tops medical negligence suits list
Medical negligence claims lodged by patients against the Eastern Cape Department of Health rocketed from R166 million in 2009 to R3.8 billion last year, according to a report by the Daily Dispatch.
The total claims bill for first quarter of 2015-16 totals R700 million while R173 million in claims for the first three months of the current financial year follows botched procedures at just one hospital - Dora Nginza Hospital, in Kwazakele, Port Elizabeth, and already surpasses the 2009 full year’s claims.
In the first quarter of the 2015-16 financial year, the department received claims in nine of its provincial hospitals including:
- Dora Nginza Hospital, which is being sued for R173 062 500;
- Mthatha General Hospital – R117 800 000;
- Nelson Mandela Academic Hospital – R59 896 250;
- Cecilia Makiwane Hospital – R303 89 001;
- Frere – R9 210 000;
- All Saints – R12 803 200;
- Livingstone – R2 701 000;
- Butterworth – R1 262 500; and
- Holy Cross Hospital – R450 000.
Dora Nginza is a tertiary institution that deals with referral cases from surrounding regional hospitals and clinics.
According to the Daily Dispatch, 98% of litigation against the hospital related to “birth and birth trauma”.
Officials in the department of health were also reportedly colluding with outside parties by stealing and destroying medical records.
Still, negligent health practitioners were being suspended and subjected to disciplinary processes.
The residents of Somerset Place, a retirement home...
Dutywa police early on Tuesday morning arrested a 32-year-old...
In Nelson Mandela Bay, the Pathcare Cytogenetics Unit diagnoses three children a month with Down Syndrome, and...
The St Andrew’s College U16A and 1st XI Football...
Capetonians clear your diaries now because the...
St Andrew’s College played host to their annual SAC...
Two men, aged 24 and 26, are expected to appear in the Port...
The Eastern Cape Gabling Board (ECGB) joined hands with...
The recent articles in the media, particularly the City...
- Alexandria man in court for possession of drugs and stolen property worth R120 000
- Man in police custody after being caught raping teenage girl
- NMMU expresses shock at discriminatory comments allegedly made by staff member
- Eastern Cape receives billions in investments
- Police investigating after man drowns in St Francis Bay