East Cape initiation season closes with death toll of 28

JULY 22, 2015

The Eastern Cape winter initiation season has closed with a death toll of 28, the provincial health department said on Tuesday.

This figure is less than during the same period last year, when 37 initiates died, spokesperson Sizwe Kupelo said.

A number of initiates still remained in hospitals in the province. 

"The OR Tambo district co-ordinator will now be placing orders for surgical consumables that will be distributed to hospitals on Thursday and Friday."

In the district, a total of 133 initiates remained in 11 hospitals in the region, with St Barnabas (22 initiates), Canzibe (19), and St Lucys (18) the hospitals with the most initiates.

Other regions had a total of two initiates in hospitals, although further data was still expected, Kupelo said.

 

---News24wire