East London police make breakthrough in case of decomposing bodies

BY YOLANDA PALEZWENI - JUNE 7, 2017
East London police make breakthrough in case of decomposing bodies

Police in East London on Monday arrested two male suspects, aged between 34 and 37 years old, in connection with the two partly decomposed bodies discovered in bushes near NU 6, Mdantsane, as well as for the rape of a young school girl on the 31st of May.

According to police spokesperson, Captain Mluleki Mbi, police efforts paid off Monday night, with the arrest of a 34-year-old suspect in NU 2 Mdantsane.

“The suspect has been linked to the rape of the young school girl, who reported an attack on her by an unknown male in the vicinity where the decomposed bodies of two women were subsequently discovered,” he said. 

Captain Mbi added that a cellphone belonging to the young girl was found in the possession of the suspect.

However, the possibility of linking the suspect to the bodies or other crimes in the area cannot be ruled out and the investigation continues.   

The suspect is expected to appear soon in the Mdantsane Magistrates Court on a charge of rape.

Furthermore, detectives took in another 37-year-old suspect for questioning and police believe that he could also share some light on the bodies discovered in the bushes last month in Mdantsane.

The Eastern Cape Provincial Commissioner, Lt Gen Liziwe Ntshinga, welcomed the arrest and said that all leads will be followed up to confirm the possible involvement of the suspects in crimes in the area.

“Crimes against women and children are a top priority for the Eastern Cape Police and we will pursue every avenue to apprehend offenders who continue to terrorise women and children”, she said.

The SAPS Women’s Network and Men for Change will visit the rape victim to offer their support.