Eastern Cape coastal conditions reach extremely uncomfortable levels
Weather conditions along the Eastern Cape coast and adjacent interior have reached EXTREMELY uncomfortable levels, the Port Elizabeth office of the South African Weather Services warned.
"Port Elizabeth has a temperature of 36 with a humidity of 30% which equates to a discomfort index of in excess of 105," said spokesperson, Garth Sampson.
"At this level, school sport should be stopped as well as any hard labour.
"Coastal stations from Plettenberg Bay to Port Alfred have registered similar temperatures."
He said that over the adjacent interior in places like Addo and Uitenhage temperatures are in excess of 36C.
"The reset of the week will be warm with maximum temperatures above 26C. Although sight cooling on Tuesday maximum temperatures will rise to around 34 C on Thursday," described Sampson.
"The first signs of real cooling can be expected over the weekend with some rain."
HIGH DISCOMFORT AND HEAT WAVES
When temperature and humidity are high at the same time, humans ability to cool their bodies through sweating are reduced. This can be a real threat:
- Stay indoors in a cool room near a fan if possible
- The old and infirm must take extra care
- Listen to the radio or TV for warnings.
- Cease strenuous outdoor activity if advised
- Avoid playing sport
- Dress in light weight clothes
- Drink plenty of liquids NOT alcohol
HIGH DISCOMFORT AND HEAT WAVES DID YOU KNOW?
The temperature in a motor-car can rise to more than 10 degrees higher than the outside temperature in just 10 minutes and 20 C in 30 minutes. . Do not leave pets or children in motor-cars, especially in hot conditions.
The trial of disgraced Port Elizabeth businessman, Christopher Panayiotou, and co-accused Sinethemba Nenembe and Zolani Sibeko, resumed in the Port Elizabeth High Court on Friday. Panayiotou and his co-accused are alleged to have orchestrated the faked kidnapping and murder of his wife, Jayde, in April 2015...
Members of iMveli Cycling Academy will be holding a...
The Democratic Alliance (DA) says it will on Friday write to...
Sports car fanatics will be in for a rare treat when over a...
FULL SPEECH - Save South Africa convener, businessman...
Three student leaders from the School of Oriental and African...
As the water crisis in Nelson Mandela Bay and the ...
A 25-year-old Port Elizabeth man is expected in court on...
Bridge Street Brewery have another mouth-watering event...
Southern Kings head coach Deon Davids made just one...
- Port Elizabeth man busted with cocaine worth R100 000 disguised as Grandpa sachets
- VIDEO: Top 10 of the most expensive schools in Eastern Cape for 2017
- Panayiotou Murder Trial: Terry Price and Captain Kanna Swanepoel lock horns
- Port Elizabeth anglers rescued at Cape Recife after being cut off by high tide
- Two arrested shortly after business robbery at Sunridge Mall in Port Elizabeth