Eastern Cape coastal conditions reach extremely uncomfortable levels
Weather conditions along the Eastern Cape coast and adjacent interior have reached EXTREMELY uncomfortable levels, the Port Elizabeth office of the South African Weather Services warned.
"Port Elizabeth has a temperature of 36 with a humidity of 30% which equates to a discomfort index of in excess of 105," said spokesperson, Garth Sampson.
"At this level, school sport should be stopped as well as any hard labour.
"Coastal stations from Plettenberg Bay to Port Alfred have registered similar temperatures."
He said that over the adjacent interior in places like Addo and Uitenhage temperatures are in excess of 36C.
"The reset of the week will be warm with maximum temperatures above 26C. Although sight cooling on Tuesday maximum temperatures will rise to around 34 C on Thursday," described Sampson.
"The first signs of real cooling can be expected over the weekend with some rain."
HIGH DISCOMFORT AND HEAT WAVES
When temperature and humidity are high at the same time, humans ability to cool their bodies through sweating are reduced. This can be a real threat:
- Stay indoors in a cool room near a fan if possible
- The old and infirm must take extra care
- Listen to the radio or TV for warnings.
- Cease strenuous outdoor activity if advised
- Avoid playing sport
- Dress in light weight clothes
- Drink plenty of liquids NOT alcohol
HIGH DISCOMFORT AND HEAT WAVES DID YOU KNOW?
The temperature in a motor-car can rise to more than 10 degrees higher than the outside temperature in just 10 minutes and 20 C in 30 minutes. . Do not leave pets or children in motor-cars, especially in hot conditions.
The African National Congress (ANC) in the Nelson Mandela Bay on Friday said that while it regrets the events that led to violent clashes in a Nelson Mandel Bay Council meeting on Thursday, it was the Democratic Alliance-led coalition that is to blame for...
Residents of Port Elizabeth will have the opportunity to find...
I have been given the feedback that I am too hard on my...
Butterworth police says that they are investigating how a...
In its latest update to concerned parents and students, the...
Studies show 53% of South Africans don't take their annual...
Babalwa Breakfast is due to appear in the Port Elizabeth...
Nelson Mandela Bay Economic Development, Tourism and Agriculture...
Police in Despatch on Thursday arrested three suspected...
This week, on Wednesday, marked the end of a landmark...
- Trollip appoints Yolanda Faro as new Metro Police Chief
- REVEALED: The Top 10 most stressful jobs in South Africa
- It was not just in Nelson Mandela Bay: DA accuses ANC of several coordinated disruptions
- The Bridge Street Brewery Summer Music Festival
- Large part of Nelson Mandela Bay without water on Thursday due to emergency repairs