Eastern Cape Dept of Education hoping to move past the disappointment of 2014
Eastern Cape Education MEC Mandla Makupula on Tuesday said that the province was ready for the 2015 National Senior Certificate (NSC) final examinations, also known as the Matric exams. The exams are expected to start on Monday, 26 October and end on 27 November.
Results will be available at schools on January 6, 2016.
In 2014, 91 247 candidates - 21 376 as private candidates and 69 745 as full-time learners, sat for the exams at 1 431 public and independent examination centres across the province.
Despite a slight improvement in the province's 2014 Matric pass rate, it remained the worst performing province at 65.4%, up from 64.9% in 2013. Three schools recorded a zero percent pass.
Makupula said they were hoping to increase the 2015 Matric pass rate to 70%.
"We think that it is reachable to take it to 70%. Less strikes took place and there was less noise about teacher shortages - yes, they were there, but they were not as in the previous years. This means that more time was spent in the classroom.
"I am confident to say as a department, we have done our best to reach that target," he said.
The province's 2014 Matric result was also tainted when it emerged thatseveral centres in the province had been implicated in the group cheating scandal.
Northern Areas protests
It still remains to be seen if parents in Port Elizabeth's Northern Areas will make good on their word to prevent their children from writing the 2015 Matric exams like they threatened in August.
The threat came after the parents prevented their children from attending classes at around 32 schools for almost two weeks as they protested for more teachers.
With approximately 1420 players in 48 A-teams, 20...
The Democratic Alliance (DA) and Save South Africa, despite having the same goals of kicking President Jacob Zuma out of office, will hold different rallies today for National Freedom Day in Port Elizabeth.
One of South Africa’s most experienced cyclists...
The Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality’s Deputy Mayor, Mongameli Bobani, laid charges against Municipal Manager, Johann Metler and Executive Director of Corporate Services, Vuyo Zitumane at the Humewood Police Station on Wednesday.
The Varsity Cup Dream Team was shown up against...
A full-seated crowd at the Kenneth McArthur Athletics...
The Garden Route Botanical Garden Environmental...
In response to a Democratic Alliance (DA) parliamentary...
A 51-year-old, senior traffic official from the Nelson Mandela Bay traffic department is expected in court soon after he was arrested on Tuesday afternoon on charges of corruption and bribery following a sting operation by Uitenhage police...
Despite flight delays on Wednesday morning due to a South...
- 20-year-old Port Elizabeth man busted with illegal firearm
- Port Elizabeth man out on bail for business robbery busted for housebreaking
- VIDEO: Contracts involving over R40 million now part of forensic investigations at City Hall
- Senior Nelson Mandela Bay traffic official arrested for corruption and bribery
- Flight delays as SAA cabin crews embark on strike over meal allowances