Eastern Cape Easter road death toll increases by 17%
New Transport Minister, Joe Maswanganyi, on Friday announced that 235 people died on South African roads over the 2017 Easter holidays. He said this was a 51% increase over last year's figure of 156.
Maswanganyi was addressing journalists at the GCIS head office in Pretoria.
The Eastern Cape province recorded a 17% increase in fatalities from 24 fatalities in 2016 to only 27 this year.
The Free State recorded a 27% decline in fatalities from 11 fatalities in 2016 to only 8 this year while Limpopo recorded a 30 % increase in fatalities from 23 fatalities in 2016 to only 30 this year. Mpumalanga recorded a 33% increase in fatalities from 21 fatalities in 2016 to 28 this year.
The Northern Cape saw an increase of 7 (175%) from 4 to11 while the Kwa-Zulu Natal saw an increase of 31 (111%) from 28 to 59. Gauteng recorded an increase of 14 (58%) from 24 to 38 and the Western Cape an increase of 8 (57%) from 14 to 22.
The North West saw an increase of 4 (50%) from 8 to 12.
"I call on all citizens to exercise this responsibility to make South African roads safer to travel in," said Maswanganyi.
The Minister said that, nationally, about 61 000 motorists were charged with various offences during the reporting period. A total of 174 253 vehicles were stopped and checked with the intention to remove un-roadworthy vehicles.
Seven motorists were detained for driving at excessive speeds above 160 km an hour on 120 km zone.
50% of the people who died were passengers, followed by pedestrians at 24.5%, drivers at 19,8% and cyclists at 5.7%.
Maswanganyi said that government will soon finalise the minimum sentence for bad driving - moving the offence from Schedule 5 to Schedule 3.
With approximately 1420 players in 48 A-teams, 20...
The Democratic Alliance (DA) and Save South Africa, despite having the same goals of kicking President Jacob Zuma out of office, will hold different rallies today for National Freedom Day in Port Elizabeth.
One of South Africa’s most experienced cyclists...
The Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality’s Deputy Mayor, Mongameli Bobani, laid charges against Municipal Manager, Johann Metler and Executive Director of Corporate Services, Vuyo Zitumane at the Humewood Police Station on Wednesday.
The Varsity Cup Dream Team was shown up against...
A full-seated crowd at the Kenneth McArthur Athletics...
The Garden Route Botanical Garden Environmental...
In response to a Democratic Alliance (DA) parliamentary...
A 51-year-old, senior traffic official from the Nelson Mandela Bay traffic department is expected in court soon after he was arrested on Tuesday afternoon on charges of corruption and bribery following a sting operation by Uitenhage police...
Despite flight delays on Wednesday morning due to a South...
- 20-year-old Port Elizabeth man busted with illegal firearm
- Port Elizabeth man out on bail for business robbery busted for housebreaking
- VIDEO: Contracts involving over R40 million now part of forensic investigations at City Hall
- Senior Nelson Mandela Bay traffic official arrested for corruption and bribery
- Flight delays as SAA cabin crews embark on strike over meal allowances