Eastern Cape max temperature records dating back to 90s shattered on Tuesday
Maximum temperatures recorded across the Eastern Cape on Tuesday surpassed high temperature records that date back to the 90's, data released by the South African Weather Services office in Port Elizabeth on Wednesday revealed.
"Although conditions have cooled down along the coastal regions, the interior is still experiencing hot conditions," said Garth Sampson, the SA Weather Services Client Liaison Officer for the Eastern Cape.
Records since 1990
The following records were reached over the Eastern Cape;
Highest Maximum Temperatures for Tuesday 5 January 2016
- Cradock 43.8C Previous record 43.0C occurred 07/02/1998
- Queenstown 42.9C Previous record 41.1C occurred 07/01/1993
- Mthatha 42.1C Previous record 40.8C occurred 07/02/1998
No Record, yet high temperatures on 5 January 2016
- Graaf Reinett 40.6C Previous record 44.0C
- Fort Beaufort 40.2C Previous record 44.5C
- Willowmore 40.5C Previous record 41.5C
- Beaufort West 42.9C Previous record 43.0C
Highest Minimum temperature records for 5 January 2016
- Uitenhage 23.4C Previous record 23.0C occurred 29/01/1999
- Knysna 23.0C Previous record 20.0C occurred 26/01/2007
- Patensie 23.9C Previous record 23.5C occurred 05/01/1993
- Cp St Francis 23.5C Previous record 22.1C occurred 25/01/2007
- Coega 23.5C Previous record 22.3C occurred 26/01/2007
- Addo 23.4C Previous record 22.1C occurred 09/01/2012
"Conditions are expected to start cooling with some light rain expected," Sampson said.
"We are expecting some light rain over most of the Eastern Cape (except the northern areas) on Thursday.
"On Friday some light rain can be expected along the coast and eastern half of the province. Much needed thundershowers can be expected in places over the eastern half of the province."
The Tsomo Regional Court on Monday convicted and...
A number of players of different age groups availed...
The Coega Development Corporation (CDC) on Wednesday welcomed the Consulate General Kang Yong of the People’s Republic of China at the Coega IDZ...
What a hot day. Maximum day temperatures in...
The Road Traffic Infringement Agency (RTIA) is to implement...
The Democratic Alliance (DA) in the Eastern Cape has...
The Coega Development Corporation...
The Willowvale Regional Magistrate's Court on Tuesday...
A 24-year-old Ngqamakhwe woman is expected in court on...
When a timeous response is needed to any-size disaster - be it...
- Ford Kugas Burning: Early data shows lack of coolant circulation is the cause says Ford SA
- Case against New Year's Day rape accused postponed to Thursday
- Notification of the interruption of the electricity supply - The following areas will be affected
- Stolen electronics valued at R80 000 and destined for PE intercepted in Alexandria
- Another fuel price hike predicated at the end of January