Eastern Cape max temperature records dating back to 90s shattered on Tuesday
Maximum temperatures recorded across the Eastern Cape on Tuesday surpassed high temperature records that date back to the 90's, data released by the South African Weather Services office in Port Elizabeth on Wednesday revealed.
"Although conditions have cooled down along the coastal regions, the interior is still experiencing hot conditions," said Garth Sampson, the SA Weather Services Client Liaison Officer for the Eastern Cape.
Records since 1990
The following records were reached over the Eastern Cape;
Highest Maximum Temperatures for Tuesday 5 January 2016
- Cradock 43.8C Previous record 43.0C occurred 07/02/1998
- Queenstown 42.9C Previous record 41.1C occurred 07/01/1993
- Mthatha 42.1C Previous record 40.8C occurred 07/02/1998
No Record, yet high temperatures on 5 January 2016
- Graaf Reinett 40.6C Previous record 44.0C
- Fort Beaufort 40.2C Previous record 44.5C
- Willowmore 40.5C Previous record 41.5C
- Beaufort West 42.9C Previous record 43.0C
Highest Minimum temperature records for 5 January 2016
- Uitenhage 23.4C Previous record 23.0C occurred 29/01/1999
- Knysna 23.0C Previous record 20.0C occurred 26/01/2007
- Patensie 23.9C Previous record 23.5C occurred 05/01/1993
- Cp St Francis 23.5C Previous record 22.1C occurred 25/01/2007
- Coega 23.5C Previous record 22.3C occurred 26/01/2007
- Addo 23.4C Previous record 22.1C occurred 09/01/2012
"Conditions are expected to start cooling with some light rain expected," Sampson said.
"We are expecting some light rain over most of the Eastern Cape (except the northern areas) on Thursday.
"On Friday some light rain can be expected along the coast and eastern half of the province. Much needed thundershowers can be expected in places over the eastern half of the province."
In association with Belgotex Sport – Greenfields SA, South Africa’s...
The Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality on Friday advised residents in the Van Staadens / Thornhill area of a possible interruption in electricity supply on Sunday and Westering residents of a planned water supply disruption on Tuesday. The Metro said that to enable essential upgrading and...
The economic transformation discussion...
The South African National Roads Agency (SANRAL) would...
The Master Builders Association (MBA) of Eastern Cape hosted...
Members of the Bloemfontein Flying Squad dealt a heavy...
Disgruntled Road Accident Fund (RAF) employees, who are...
Four men and woman are expected in court on Monday after...
Over much deliberation and court proceedings over Springrose...
The South African National Roads Agency SOC Ltd (SANRAL)...
- Seven injured after elevator plunges to the ground at Mount Road police station
- Port Elizabeth border police confiscate three containers from Nigeria
- 21-year-old woman fatally stabs 40-year-old brother alleging he raped her since age 7
- Man who raped girl at Dora Nginza Hospital expected to apply for bail
- Ster-Kinekor closing cinemas at Greenacres as focus shifts to premium experiences