Eastern Cape max temperature records dating back to 90s shattered on Tuesday
Maximum temperatures recorded across the Eastern Cape on Tuesday surpassed high temperature records that date back to the 90's, data released by the South African Weather Services office in Port Elizabeth on Wednesday revealed.
"Although conditions have cooled down along the coastal regions, the interior is still experiencing hot conditions," said Garth Sampson, the SA Weather Services Client Liaison Officer for the Eastern Cape.
Records since 1990
The following records were reached over the Eastern Cape;
Highest Maximum Temperatures for Tuesday 5 January 2016
- Cradock 43.8C Previous record 43.0C occurred 07/02/1998
- Queenstown 42.9C Previous record 41.1C occurred 07/01/1993
- Mthatha 42.1C Previous record 40.8C occurred 07/02/1998
No Record, yet high temperatures on 5 January 2016
- Graaf Reinett 40.6C Previous record 44.0C
- Fort Beaufort 40.2C Previous record 44.5C
- Willowmore 40.5C Previous record 41.5C
- Beaufort West 42.9C Previous record 43.0C
Highest Minimum temperature records for 5 January 2016
- Uitenhage 23.4C Previous record 23.0C occurred 29/01/1999
- Knysna 23.0C Previous record 20.0C occurred 26/01/2007
- Patensie 23.9C Previous record 23.5C occurred 05/01/1993
- Cp St Francis 23.5C Previous record 22.1C occurred 25/01/2007
- Coega 23.5C Previous record 22.3C occurred 26/01/2007
- Addo 23.4C Previous record 22.1C occurred 09/01/2012
"Conditions are expected to start cooling with some light rain expected," Sampson said.
"We are expecting some light rain over most of the Eastern Cape (except the northern areas) on Thursday.
"On Friday some light rain can be expected along the coast and eastern half of the province. Much needed thundershowers can be expected in places over the eastern half of the province."
Police in Uitenhage said that they were investigating a...
The Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University (NMMU)...
Police in Uitenhage are warning motorists to be wary when approaching traffic intersections and junctions after a reported hijacking and rape incident that occurred in Uitenhage, just outside Port Elizabeth, on Friday afternoon. According to...
The African National Congress (ANC) in the Nelson...
In what is anticipated to be an exciting Telkom Knockout final between...
The Department of Basic Education (DBE) has set the...
The Annual Bayradiology Charity Golf Day in association...
An integrated property related operation by members...
A 37-year-old man is expected in court on Monday after...
- NMMU students bag Mandela Rhodes Scholarships for postgraduates
- Goods worth R52 000 recovered after detectives track down housebreaking suspect via stolen phone
- Body of man found in Uitenhage with stab wound
- It's a lie! Dept of Basic Education says it never lowered Maths pass mark to 20%
- Alleged Upstand Dogs gang member arrested after appearing at court to support fellow gangsters