Eastern Cape max temperature records dating back to 90s shattered on Tuesday
Maximum temperatures recorded across the Eastern Cape on Tuesday surpassed high temperature records that date back to the 90's, data released by the South African Weather Services office in Port Elizabeth on Wednesday revealed.
"Although conditions have cooled down along the coastal regions, the interior is still experiencing hot conditions," said Garth Sampson, the SA Weather Services Client Liaison Officer for the Eastern Cape.
Records since 1990
The following records were reached over the Eastern Cape;
Highest Maximum Temperatures for Tuesday 5 January 2016
- Cradock 43.8C Previous record 43.0C occurred 07/02/1998
- Queenstown 42.9C Previous record 41.1C occurred 07/01/1993
- Mthatha 42.1C Previous record 40.8C occurred 07/02/1998
No Record, yet high temperatures on 5 January 2016
- Graaf Reinett 40.6C Previous record 44.0C
- Fort Beaufort 40.2C Previous record 44.5C
- Willowmore 40.5C Previous record 41.5C
- Beaufort West 42.9C Previous record 43.0C
Highest Minimum temperature records for 5 January 2016
- Uitenhage 23.4C Previous record 23.0C occurred 29/01/1999
- Knysna 23.0C Previous record 20.0C occurred 26/01/2007
- Patensie 23.9C Previous record 23.5C occurred 05/01/1993
- Cp St Francis 23.5C Previous record 22.1C occurred 25/01/2007
- Coega 23.5C Previous record 22.3C occurred 26/01/2007
- Addo 23.4C Previous record 22.1C occurred 09/01/2012
"Conditions are expected to start cooling with some light rain expected," Sampson said.
"We are expecting some light rain over most of the Eastern Cape (except the northern areas) on Thursday.
"On Friday some light rain can be expected along the coast and eastern half of the province. Much needed thundershowers can be expected in places over the eastern half of the province."
Many see the decision by South Africa’s governing African National Congress (ANC) to send the disgraced former CEO of the power utility Eskom to parliament as the precursor to...
The Eastern Cape’s renewable energy projects has created...
With the match showing to be a game of two...
Eastcape Training Centre (ETC) celebrates over 40 years in...
The South African National Roads Agency SOC Ltd...
The Warriors slumped to a 44-run loss to the...
THE best of Nelson Mandela Bay female boxers will feature...
With only two nights to go until the opening night of the circus...
Almost two months into the 2017 school year, a presentation...
- NMMU expresses shock at discriminatory comments allegedly made by staff member
- Buffalo City Municipality ANC Councillor bunks all meetings since August 2016; DA wants her gone
- The Great Moscow Circus Big Top Goes Up at The Boardwalk!!
- Alexandria man in court for possession of drugs and stolen property worth R120 000
- Port Elizabeth schools – ready, set, RECYCLE and win!