Ebola test conducted on SA man
Test results performed on a 37-year old South African man returning from Liberia, are expected to be announced today, although the Department of Health has stated that the chances for the man being diagnosed with the deadly Ebola disease are low.
The man arrived at the O.R Tambo International Airport on August 6th having worked as a health and safety officer in the West African country which has been hit the hardest by the virus. A report released by the World Health Organisation, states that 1 145 people have died from Ebola so far.
Although showing no initial signs of the virus, the man was admitted to the Charlotte Maxeke Academic Hospital on Sunday complaining of fever.
Department of Health spokesperson, Joe Maila, told News24 that although the man had been scanned at the airport and was given the all clear, it was decided to transfer him to the hospital after a spike in his body temperature.
“As a precautionary measure, given his history of working in Liberia, the protocol developed for haemorrhagic fevers needed to be followed. (Therefore) it was decided that he be admitted for further assessment and investigations,” Maila was quoted as saying.
He said that although the man was identified as ‘low-risk’ case, the “country continues to be on high alert”.
Image sourced from truthfed.com
- Police appeal for information after 95-year-old Uitenhage woman raped and murdered
- Four armed business robbers arrested within hours of robbing shop
- Nelson Mandela Bay Metro clamping down on municipal fleet abuse to cut costs
- Mourners robbed at cemetery - Port Elizabeth police urge public to be vigilant
- DA applauds Metro for allocating land for additional police station in Northern Areas