EC Back to Basics launch on November 12

NOVEMBER 3, 2014

The Eastern Cape would launch the “Back to Basics” initiative for local government on November 12, Premier Phumulo Masualle announced this morning. Addressing a breakfast briefing, the Premier said this would follow an investigation into the “strengths and weaknesses” of all municipalities.

The Back to Basics campaign was launched by Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs Minister Pravin Gordhan on September 18.

Nelson Mandela Bay Mayor Ben Fihla attended the launch and signed the Statement of Intent, a commitment to implement the Back to Basics programme in the metro.

The Premier said a programme had been developed “to attend to each of the ailments” that had been identified in municipalities, adding that one of the common challenges that had been identified was the absence of scarce skills in some areas. - metrominutes