Eskom escalates to Stage 3 emergency loadshedding
The Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality advised residents on Friday aftertoon that it will implement a Stage 3 emergency loadshedding schedule after Eskom announced that it was escalating its loadshedding to Stage 3 to prevent a national blackout of the electricity power grid.
"With immediate effect, Eskom has implemented Stage 3 emergency loadshedding. Practically, this means that more than one Group will have to be switched off in each time period," said Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality spokesperson, Roland Williams.
"For the remainder of today, the following groups will be shed in the following respective time periods:
- Groups 3 + 4 - 14H00 until 16H30
- Groups 4 + 5 - 16H00 until 18H30
- Groups 5 + 6 - 18H00 until 20H30
- Group 6 - 20H00 until 22H30
Williams said that this serves to comply with the national grid requirements and to prevent a national blackout of the electricity power grid.
"The Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality will not switch off hospitals and commercial/industrial businesses," he said.
"The schedule that currently appears on the NMBM website is applicable for Stage 2 Loadshedding.
"We are compiling a Stage 3 schedule which will be available by this afternoon."
Earlier on, the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality said it would embark on Stage 2 loadshedding beginning at 11:00am according to its schedule.
"Whilst Eskom has not confirmed loadshedding for Saturday and Sunday, it is highly probable that there will be loadshedding over the weekend," Williams had said.
"As always, the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality will implement loadshedding in accordance with the schedule which is attached hereto."
Download full schedule HERE.
In a tweet on its official Twitter account, Eskom warned; "Eskom will load shed in Stage 2 tomorrow from 6am to 10pm & Sunday from 8am to 10pm. This includes curtailment of Industrial customers."
See the full Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality's Group break downs HERE.
Fun times were had at The Boardwalk on Thursday all in the name of charity. Finalists for the Mr Port Elizabeth UberMANn campaign rolled people around the lake of The Boardwalk to raise funds in aid of the Association for the Physically Disabled (APD) of Nelson Mandela Bay...
As one of South Africa’s most prominent news...
KIA Motors has signed a memorandum of...
The Johannesburg Stock Exchange (JSE) is the...
The trial of disgraced Port Elizabeth businessman, Christopher Panayiotou, and co-accused Sinethemba Nenembe and Zolani Sibeko, resumed in the Port Elizabeth High Court on Friday. Panayiotou and his co-accused are alleged to have orchestrated the faked kidnapping and murder of his wife, Jayde, in April 2015...
Members of iMveli Cycling Academy will be holding a...
The Democratic Alliance (DA) says it will on Friday write to...
Sports car fanatics will be in for a rare treat when over a...
FULL SPEECH - Save South Africa convener, businessman...
Three student leaders from the School of Oriental and African...
- Port Elizabeth man busted with cocaine worth R100 000 disguised as Grandpa sachets
- VIDEO: Top 10 of the most expensive schools in Eastern Cape for 2017
- Port Elizabeth anglers rescued at Cape Recife after being cut off by high tide
- Panayiotou Murder Trial: Terry Price and Captain Kanna Swanepoel lock horns
- Two arrested shortly after business robbery at Sunridge Mall in Port Elizabeth