Eskom says no to load shedding for remainder of summer

BY CHARL BOSCH - FEBRUARY 3, 2016

Power utility Eskom has reportedly denounced speculation it would once again implement load shedding despite ongoing financial strains.

Addressing the media at Megawatt Park earlier today with the release of its fourth quarter results, Eskom CEO Brain Molefe said the system is expected to remain online throughout summer and going into winter, thanks to the commencing of operations at its previously troubled Medupi Power Station.

The announcement comes after the state-owned parastatal submitted an application to the National Energy Regular of South Africa (Nersa) last month, for a 16.6% tariff increase to recover an estimated R22.8-billion lost during the 2013 / 2014 financial year.